A rejiggered US national team made mighty heavy work of the task, but eventually slipped past plucky underdogs Martinique to earn a 3-2 victory in their Gold Cup Group B encounter at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida on Wednesday night.
The US began with with eight new starters compared to the lineup that struggled to a 1-1 draw with Panama in Nashville over the weekend, and perhaps as a result, were woefully lacking in rhythm and consistency in a scoreless first half.
Omar Gonzalez eased some nerves with a poked mop-up goal shortly after the break, and the Seattle Sounders' Jordan Morris struck for two goals. But a matching double from former Sounder Kevin Parsemain kept the islanders in it and forced the favorites to sweat until the final whistle.
- 54' – USA – Omar Gonzalez
- 64' – USA – Jordan Morris
- 66' – MTQ – Kevin Parsemain
- 76' – USA – Jordan Morris
- 76' – MTQ – Kevin Parsemain
- CONCACAF Man of the Match: Jordan Morris
NOT A CLASSIC
: Yes, Bruce Arena has made clear that he's using this tournament to give fringe players a chance to impress. And no, many of them have not seized that opportunity. But the collective lack of cohesion, fluidity and urgency for long stretches made this a frustrating spectacle; probing questions will surely be asked of the head coach after this one.
- USA: Saturday, July 15 – vs. Nicaragua (7 pm ET | Univision, UDN, FXX in US, TSN2 in Canada)
- MTQ: Saturday, July 15 – vs. Panama (4:30 pm ET | FS1, Univision, UDN in US, TSN2 in Canada)