MLS MEDIA RESOURCES: WEEK 15 NEWS & NOTES
News and notes and statistical trends from around Major League Soccer
SOUNDERS FC RUN OUT HISTORIC YOUNG LINEUP IN REMARKABLE WIN
Seattle Sounders FC added to their rewriting of the MLS record books this season, in a remarkable 1-0 victory against Austin FC at Q2 Stadium on Thursday evening.
Sounders FC had five teenagers – players aged 19 or under – in the starting lineup for the match, the most by a team in a single game in league history. Along the way, two of the six youngest players ever to play in and start a game (Obed Vargas, aged 15 years, 351 days) and Reed Baker-Whiting (aged 16 years, 113 days) were in the lineup, along with a pair of 18-year-olds in Danny Leyva and Ethan Dobbelaere and 19-year-old Josh Atencio.
Just three times previously in league annals had their been as many as four teenagers in a single starting lineup. A sixth teenager also saw action for Sounders FC in Thursday’s contest, when 19-year-old Alex Villanueva came on as a substitute.
With the record five teenagers in the first XI, it was the second-youngest starting lineup for a team in MLS history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. With an average age of 22 years, 229 days, the group was just days younger than the record set June 19, 2004, when the MetroStars had a lineup averaging 22 years, 138 days for a a match vs. the LA Galaxy.
SOUNDERS FC ADD TO RANKS OF YOUNGEST TO PLAY IN MLS
Sounders FC also continued their hold on the ranks of the youngest players ever to play in Major League Soccer through the Austin FC game. Obed Vargas – signed from the club’s USL affiliate Tacoma Defiance under the Extreme Hardship provision – started and played the match vs. Austin. At just 15 years, 351 days of age, Vargas became the third-youngest both to play in and start a game in MLS history.
Of the six youngest players to play in a game in the league’s history, three have been from Sounders FC – Danny Levya (fifth-youngest), who made his debut in 2019, and Reed Baker-Whiting (sixth-youngest), who made his debut earlier this season, on May 16 vs. Los Angeles Football Club. Also making his first MLS start in the Austin FC match, Baker-Whiting became the sixth-youngest in MLS history to start a game.
NASHVILLE SC’S MUKHTAR SETS RECORD WITH QUICKEST HAT TRICK
Hany Mukhtar of Nashville SC inscribed his name into the MLS record book last weekend, scoring a hat trick within the opening 16 minutes of his club’s 5-1 win against Chicago Fire FC at Nissan Stadium.
It was the quickest hat trick in league history from the start of a game, surpassing the hat trick scored by Bradley Wright-Phillips in the opening 27 minutes of a 3-0 win vs. Toronto FC on May 28, 2016.
The three goals coming in a six-minute marked the second-fastest hat trick scored in league history, just one minute shy of the triple netted by Harut Karapetyan with the LA Galaxy on June 4, 1998, part of the Galaxy’s 8-1 win which still stands as the most goals scored by a team in a single game in MLS history.
MLS WEEK 15 – LOOK AHEAD
ATLANTA UNITED vs. COLUMBUS CREW
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #188)
Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Ga.
3 p.m. ET (ABC / ESPN Deportes)
REFEREE: Robert Sibiga. AR1 (bench): Jason White; AR2 (opposite): Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein; 4th: Elijio Arreguin; VAR: Sorin Stoica; AVAR: Jozef Batko
MLS Career: 128 games; FC/gm: 21.7; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 24; pens: 35
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: ATLUTD 4 wins, 12 goals … Crew SC 4 wins, 10 goals … Ties 0
AT ATLANTA: ATLUTD 2 wins, 7 goals … Crew SC 1 win, 5 goals … Ties 0
· Atlanta United gained a sixth draw in the last nine games, playing to a 1-1 result with FC Cincinnati at TQL Stadium on Wednesday evening. Ronald Hernández scored the ATLUTD goal, making his first start in MLS (second league appearance).
· The Crew extended their undefeated streak to five games with a fourth draw in that time, playing to a scoreless result with Nashville SC at Lower.com Field on Wednesday evening.
· The teams met twice a season ago, and the Crew won both. Youness Mohktar scored the game’s only goal as Crew SC took the win on July 21 during the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament, then Gyasi Zardes and Lucas Zelarayán scored on either side of halftime as Columbus took a 2-1 win at home on Decision Day (Nov. 8).
· The Crew have won the last four league meetings after winning both meetings in 2019. Atlanta United won each of the first four matchups, over 2017-18.
· The teams met in the Knockout Round of the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2017, Crew SC advancing via a dramatic penalty kick shootout after the teams played to a scoreless draw over 120 minutes at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
ATLUTD: Machop Chol collected his first career assist in MLS, making his fifth appearance. … Brooks Lennon recorded his second assist of the season, his first coming June 20.
CREW: Eloy Room was credited with one save in recording his fourth shutout of the season, tied for fifth-most in MLS this season.
CHICAGO FIRE FC vs. TORONTO FC
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #189)
Soldier Field, Chicago, Ill.
7 p.m. CT (TSN; WGN-TV)
REFEREE: Victor Rivas. AR1 (bench): Peter Manikowski; AR2 (opposite): Eric Boria; 4th: Ismir Pekmic; VAR: Malik Badawi; AVAR: Fabio Tovar
MLS Career: 26 games; FC/gm: 23.5; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 4; pens: 10
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Fire 9 wins, 48 goals … Toronto FC 11 wins, 53 goals … Ties 11
AT FIRE: Fire 5 wins, 20 goals … Toronto FC 3 wins, 18 goals … Ties 6
· Fire FC returned home and extended their undefeated run at Soldier Field to four games, reaching a 2-2 draw with D.C. United on Wednesday evening. Gastón Giménez scored his first career goal in MLS, making his 27th appearance over two seasons.
· TFC extended its undefeated run to three games with a second draw in that span, playing to a 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls in their return to BMO Field on Wednesday evening. Ralph Priso scored his first career goal in MLS, in his 11th appearance over two seasons.
· The teams last met during the 2019 season, reaching a pair of 2-2 draws, on April 6 at BMO Field, and Sept. 29 at SeatGeek Stadium.
· TFC now has a 11-game undefeated streak alive in the series (8-0-3), dating back to Sept. 26, 2015. The Fire’s last victory in the series came on April 4, 2015, a 3-2 win in Bridgeview, Ill., which capped a 12-game Fire undefeated streak in the series (6-0-6), dating back to 2010.
· TFC won the final three meetings at SeatGeek Stadium, its only wins ever there. The Fire had come away with five wins and five draws in the first 10 meetings all-time in Bridgeview. TFC is undefeated in the past nine encounters at BMO Field.
FIRE FC: Boris Sekulic collected his third assist of the season, his first since gaining assists in each of the opening two games of the season.
TFC: Ralph Priso scored his first MLS goal in his first-ever league appearance at BMO Field.
MINNESOTA UNITED FC vs. PORTLAND TIMBERS
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #190)
Allianz Field, St. Paul, Minn.
7 p.m. CT (Bally Sports North+; KPDX)
REFEREE: Marcos de Oliveira. AR1 (bench): Andrew Bigelow; AR2 (opposite): Jose da Silva; 4th: JC Griggs; VAR: Jon Freemon; AVAR: Jeff Muschik
MLS Career: 49 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.6; R: 4; pens: 15
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: MNUFC 5 wins, 14 goals … Timbers 2 wins, 13 goals … Ties 1
AT MINNESOTA: MNUFC 3 wins, 7 goals … Timbers 0 wins, 4 goals … Ties 0
· MNUFC return to action off the first win vs. Seattle Sounders FC in club history, a 1-0 result at Allianz Field on Sunday, July 18. Robin Lod scored the game’s only goal, his third of the year.
· The Timbers won a second game on the trot, getting a late game-winner for a 2-1 win against Los Angeles Football Club at Providence Park. Diego Valeri scored the opener for the Timbers – his 100th goal over all competitions for the club – and Felipe Mora scored the game-winner in stoppage time, his third goal of the season.
· MNUFC won for a third time in the last five games, defeating Seattle Sounders FC by the game’s only goal at Allianz Field on Sunday afternoon. Robin Lod scored his third goal of the season in his first match back with the club following Euro 2020.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Adrien Hunou scored the game’s only goal after just two minutes, the earliest goal in MNUFC’s MLS history, for the win June 26 at Providence Park.
· MNUFC are now undefeated over the last six meetings in all competitions vs. the Timbers. Portland’s last victory in the series came April 14, 2018, a 3-2 win at home.
MNUFC: Emanuel Reynoso recorded his third assist of the season, his second in the last four games. … Tyler Miller was credited with three saves in recording his fifth shutout of the season, coming in nine starts since May 12. The five shutouts are fourth-most in MLS this season. … Niko Hansen gained his first assist of the season.
TIMBERS: Josecarlos Van Rankin and Martín Loría each collected their third assists of the season. … Sebastian Blanco recorded his first assist of the season, his first since last Sept. 2.
NASHVILLE SC vs. FC CINCINNATI
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #191)
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
7:30 p.m. CT (MyTV30; WSTR – Star 64)
REFEREE: Guido Gonzales Jr. AR1 (bench): Matthew Nelson; AR2 (opposite): Kevin Klinger; 4th: Baldomero Toledo; VAR: Daniel Radford; AVAR: Joshua Patlak
MLS Career: 24 games; FC/gm: 26.6; Y/gm: 4.5; R: 7; pens: 7
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Nashville SC 0 wins, 2 goals … FCC 0 wins, 2 goals … Ties 1
AT NASHVILLE: Nashville SC 0 wins, 2 goals … FCC 0 wins, 2 goals … Ties 1
· Nashville SC extended their undefeated streak to six games with a third draw in that time, reaching a scoreless draw with the Columbus Crew at Lower.com Field on Wednesday evening.
· FCC gained a fifth result over the last six games, reaching a 1-1 draw with Atlanta United at TQL Stadium on Wednesday evening. Luciano Acosta scored the FC Cincinnati goal, his fourth of the season; he has a goal and/or an assist in three consecutive games, with two goals and two assists in that time.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season and in their histories. Luciano Acosta and Brenner gave FCC a two-goal lead after 12 minutes, but Jhonder Cadíz and Randall Leal scored for Nashville SC, leaving the teams in a 2-2 draw April 17 at Nissan Stadium.
· They have one more meeting scheduled in the 2020 regular season, Oct. 27 at TQL Stadium in Cincinnati.
NASHVILLE SC: Joe Willis was credited with seven saves – his season-high – in recording his sixth shutout of the season, tied for the MLS league lead with Andre Blake (PHI) and William Yarbrough (COL).
FCC: Brenner collected his second assist of the season and in MLS, both coming in the last two games; he has two goals and two assists in the last two contests.
FC DALLAS vs. LA GALAXY
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #192)
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas
7:30 p.m. CT (FCDTV / Estrella KMPX-29; SpecSN)
REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. AR1 (bench): Claudiu Badea; AR2 (opposite): Chris Elliott; 4th: Elton Garcia; VAR: Carol Anne Chenard; AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
MLS Career: 173 games; FC/gm: 27.6; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 25; pens: 41
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FC Dallas 28 wins (1 shootout), 106 goals … Galaxy 35 wins (1 shootout), 129 goals … Ties 12
AT DALLAS: FC Dallas 21 wins (0 shootout), 67 goals … Galaxy 9 wins (0 shootout), 52 goals … Ties 7
· FCD saw their losing slide extended, dropping a 2-0 decision to the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday evening.
· The Galaxy came back for a 2-2 draw with Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday evening. Rayan Raveloson scored the 77th-minute equalizer, his third goal in MLS and a third consecutive game with a goal; Victor Vázquez also scored his first goal since joining the Galaxy.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Rayan Raveloson and Kévin Cabral each netted their first goals for the Galaxy, in the first half, in a 3-1 win July 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
· The Galaxy have won the last two meetings in the series, both at Dignity Health Sports Park, ending a five-game FC Dallas winning streak. FCD has won each of the last three meetings in Frisco; they had won each of the two previous meetings in Carson, which came on the heels of a nine-game home undefeated streak in the series for the Galaxy (dating back to 2009), having gone 7-0-2 over that stretch.
FCD: FC Dallas had seven Homegrown Players appear in the match, equaling the MLS record for a single team in a game. Justin Che, Edwin Cerrillo, Ricardo Pepi, Jesús Ferreira and Paxton Pomykal all featured in the starting lineup, while Brandon Servania and Dante Sealy came off the substitutes’ bench.
GALAXY: Samuel Grandsir recorded his fourth assist of the season and in MLS, a third consecutive game with an assist; the four have all come over the last five games. … Sacha Kljestan recorded his third assist of the season, the 96th of his MLS league career.
REAL SALT LAKE vs. COLORADO RAPIDS
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #193)
Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
8 p.m. MT (KMYU-12; Altitude)
REFEREE: Fotis Bazakos. AR1 (bench): Corey Rockwell; AR2 (opposite): TJ Zablocki; 4th: Brandon Stevis; VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.; AVAR: Jeremy Hanson
MLS Career: 111 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 23; pens: 37
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Real 23 wins, 71 goals … Rapids 14 wins, 48 goals … Ties 11
AT SALT LAKE: Real 14 wins, 38 goals … Rapids 4 wins, 20 goals … Ties 6
· Real returned home and reached a 2-2 draw with the LA Galaxy at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday evening. Albert Rusnák scored his third goal of the season, all coming over the last six games, and Maikel Chang scored his first goal of the year, his second in two MLS campaigns. Aaron Herrera collected his sixth assist of the season, now tied for second in the MLS assist standings.
· The Rapids extended their undefeated run to four games, defeating FC Dallas 2-0 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday evening. Michael Barrios scored his fourth goal of the season, all coming over the last eight games, while Lalas Abubakar netted his first of the campaign.
· The teams met three times a season ago. In the final meeting, Sept. 12 at Rio Tinto Stadium, the Rapids took a 5-0 victory, the largest margin of victory in the club’s 25 seasons and their first win in the series since 2017. RSL won the first two meetings, a 4-1 win Aug. 22 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, and a 2-0 victory during group play at the MLS is Back Tournament.
· The Rapids victory in the final meeting also ended a 17-game home undefeated streak for Real vs. Colorado. The last previous win for the Rapids in Utah was a 2-0 triumph April 30, 2007 at Rice-Eccles Stadium; RSL won 13 of the next 17 home meetings, with four draws. RSL has won the last three meetings in Commerce City; they have come away with points on eight of their past 11 trips there (six wins, two draws, dating back to 2013).
· The rivals play for the Rocky Mountain Cup, a trophy awarded by the supporters’ groups of both teams.
REAL: Maikel Chang also collected an assist, his first of the season and seventh of his MLS career. … Rubio Rubin recorded his third assist of the season, his first since gaining assists on each of RSL’s two goals in the season-opening win at Minnesota.
RAPIDS: William Yarbrough was credited with two saves in recording his sixth shutout of the season, tied for the MLS league lead with Andre Blake (PHI) and Joe Willis (NSH). … Jack Price recorded his fifth assist of the season, one of five players tied for fourth in the MLS assist standings.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. HOUSTON DYNAMO FC
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #194)
PayPal Park, San Jose, Calif.
7 p.m. PT (NBCS-BA+; QuestTexas 55 / Telexitos 47.2)
REFEREE: Ted Unkel. AR1 (bench): Cory Richardson; AR2 (opposite): Apolinar Mariscal; 4th: Matthew Thompson; VAR: Hilario Grajeda; AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert
MLS Career: 114 games; FC/gm: 23.5; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 35; pens: 56
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Earthquakes 9 wins, 32 goals … Dynamo FC 14 wins, 38 goals … Ties 3
AT SAN JOSE: Earthquakes 7 wins, 20 goals … Dynamo 4 wins, 13 goals … Ties 2
· The Quakes reached a third consecutive draw, gaining a 1-1 result with Sporting Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park on Wednesday evening. Nathan scored the San Jose goal, his first in MLS in his third appearance.
· Dynamo FC reached a draw for the fifth time in the last six games, playing to a goalless result with Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BBVA Stadium on Tuesday evening.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Memo Rodríguez and Maximiliano Urruti scored on either side of halftime as Dynamo FC took the 2-1 victory in the season opener for both clubs, April 16 at BBVA Stadium.
· The Quakes have won once at BBVA Stadium in nine meetings, a 1-0 win in 2015. The Dynamo last won in San Jose in 2016 (the teams reached a draw there in 2018).
· The two teams have shared a pitched rivalry since the Earthquakes returned to the league in 2008, after the Dynamo moved to Houston from San Jose in 2006. The Dynamo have won 14 meetings and the Quakes nine, with three draws.
QUAKES: Cristian Espinoza collected his fourth assist of the season, his second in the last three games.
DYNAMO FC: Marko Maric was not called upon to make a save in recording his second shutout of the season, his first coming May 12 vs. Sporting KC.
LOS ANGELES FOOTBALL CLUB vs. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Saturday, July 24, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #195)
Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, Calif.
7:30 p.m. PT (TSN; My13/KCOP / Estrella TV)
REFEREE: Kevin Stott. AR1 (bench): Diego Blas; AR2 (opposite): Ryan Graves; 4th: Michael Radchuk; VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero; AVAR: Felisha Mariscal
MLS Career: 369 games; FC/gm: 24.4; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 86; pens: 98
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: LAFC 3 wins, 17 goals … Whitecaps FC 2 wins, 6 goals … Ties 1
AT BANC OF CALIFORNIA STADIUM: LAFC 2 wins, 14 goals … Whitecaps FC 0 wins, 3 goals … Ties 1
· LAFC had their three-game winning streak put to an end with a late game-winner, falling 2-1 to the Portland Timbers at Providence Park on Wednesday evening. Carlos Vela scored his third goal of the season, a second consecutive game with a goal; Vela has a goal or an assist in four consecutive games, with two goals and two assists in that span.
· Whitecaps FC gained a second consecutive result, playing to a goalless draw with Houston Dynamo FC at BBVA Stadium on Tuesday evening.
· The teams met twice a season ago, each winning once. LAFC set an MLS record by scoring the first four goals in the opening 14 minutes, and tied the MLS record with the first five goals in the opening 33 minutes (equaling the mark set by Seattle Sounders FC just 13 days earlier) in rolling to a 6-0 win at Banc of California Stadium on Sept. 23. It was the second time in two meetings in Los Angeles scored six goals. Then on Oct. 14, Lucas Cavallini scored once in each half as Whitecaps FC took a 2-1 win at Providence Park in Portland.
· The teams split their two meetings in 2019, each winning on their home ground, Whitecaps FC by the game’s only goal April 17 at BC Place, and LAFC taking a 6-1 win July 6 in downtown Los Angeles.
LAFC: Diego Rossi recorded his first assist of the season. … Eddie Segura gained his second assist of the season, both coming in the last four games.
WHITECAPS FC: Thomas Hasal was credited with one save in recording his first shutout this season, the second of his MLS career (in 12 appearances over two seasons).
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. CF MONTRÉAL
Sunday, July 25, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #196)
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass.
7:30 p.m. ET (TVA Sports; TSN; WSBK TV38 / MyRITV)
REFEREE: Alex Chilowicz. AR1 (bench): Nick Uranga; AR2 (opposite): Brian Dunn; 4th: Matthew Corrigan; VAR: Malik Badawi; AVAR: Thomas Supple
MLS Career: 49 games; FC/gm: 23.8; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 6; pens: 15
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Revolution 12 wins, 36 goals … CFMTL 10 wins, 34 goals … Ties 3
AT NEW ENGLAND: Revolution 6 wins, 16 goals … CFMTL 4 wins, 11 goals … Ties 1
· The Revolution won a second consecutive game in rampaging fashion, rolling to a 5-0 win against Inter Miami CF at DRV PNK Stadium on Wednesday evening. It was the 10th time in club history the Revs scored five goals or more in a game, one off the club record for a single match.
· Arnor Traustason scored two goals, the first two since his arrival to the Revolution and MLS. Adam Buksa also scored a pair of goals, his first career multiple-goal game in MLS; he has a goal or an assist in three consecutive games, with two goals and an assist.
· CF Montréal had their three-game winning streak put to an end, falling by the game’s only goal to New York City FC at Red Bull Arena on Wednesday evening.
· The teams met four times a season ago, and the Revolution took the final three. Kekuta Manneh, Teal Bunbury and Adam Buksa all scored as New England took a 3-2 win Oct. 14 at Red Bull Arena; Henry Kessler, Gustavo Bou and Diego Fagundez netted goals as the Revolution won 3-1 on Sept. 23 at Gillette Stadium. The teams also met in group play in the MLS is Back Tournament, Gustavo Bou scoring the game’s only goal to give New England the win on July 9.
· On Opening Day (Feb. 29) at Olympic Stadium, Teal Bunbury gave the Revolution an early lead, but Romell Quioto and Maxi Urruti scored on either side of halftime to give the Impact the 2-1 win. The win extended Montréal’s then-home undefeated streak in the series to three games.
REVOLUTION: Carles Gil recorded a pair of assists, now with a league-leading 12 for the season, his first since recording assists on all three New England goals June 23 vs. New York Red Bulls. … Jon Bell recorded the first assist of his MLS career, in his seventh appearance.
CFMTL: Goalkeeper James Pantemis saw his personal undefeated streak come to an end after five games, credited with the loss for the first time in 2021. Pantemis was credited with four wins over his first five starts.
NEW YORK CITY FC vs. ORLANDO CITY SC
Sunday, July 25, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #197)
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, N.Y.
6 p.m. ET (YES; FOX35 Plus / LionNation TV)
REFEREE: Rosendo Mendoza. AR1 (bench): Peter Balciunas; AR2 (opposite): Ian McKay; 4th: Tori Penso; VAR: Jorge Gonzalez; AVAR: Eric Weisbrod
MLS Career: 21 games; FC/gm: 24.1; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 2; pens: 4
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: NYCFC 5 wins, 27 goals … Orlando City 6 wins, 22 goals … Ties 6
AT NYCFC: NYCFC 3 wins, 14 goals … Orlando City 2 wins, 9 goals … Ties 2
· NYCFC snapped a two-game losing slide, defeating CF Montréal by the game’s only goal at Red Bull Arena on Wednesday evening. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scored the NYCFC goal, his fifth of the season.
· OCSC put an end to a three-game run without a victory, defeating the Philadelphia Union 2-1 at Exploria Stadium on Thursday evening. Benji Michel netted his third goal of the season, and Andrés Perea added his second.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Nani scored early in the second half to give OCSC the lead, but Valentin Castellanos converted a late penalty kick, leaving the teams in a 1-1 draw May 8 at Exploria Stadium. NYCFC has come away with points in the last five matches at Exploria Stadium, winning the first two before gaining draws the last three.
· The teams have played to draws in four of their last five meetings, over the last three seasons. The only win in that time – a 3-1 Orlando City victory in the MLS is Back Tournament – ended a six-game NYCFC undefeated streak in the league series. NYCFC has come away with points on their last five trips to Orlando, OCSC last winning at home in the series in 2017.
· The teams also met last year in an epic match in Round One of the MLS Cup Playoffs, Orlando City taking the victory in the club’s first-ever game in the MLS Cup Playoffs in remarkable circumstances, winning in a penalty shootout following a 1-1 draw on Nov. 21 at Exploria Stadium. Rodrigo Schlegel was the hero, stopping one of two penalty kicks he saved after he took over between the posts following the red card issued to starting goalkeeper Pedro Gallese during the penalty shootout.
NYCFC: Luis Barraza was credited with one save in recording the shutout, the first of his MLS career in his third appearance. … Barraza was also credited with an assist.
OCSC: Mauricio Pereyra recorded assists on both Orlando City goals, his third two-assist game in his MLS career. Pereyra now has six assists for the season, one of three players tied for second in the MLS assist standings. … Nani recorded his fourth assist of the season, his first since June 25; he has a goal and an assist in the last two games.
INTER MIAMI CF vs. PHILADELPHIA UNION
Sunday, July 25, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #199)
DRV PNK Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
7:30 p.m. ET (MyTV33 / UniMás 69; PHL17)
REFEREE: Joseph Dickerson. AR1 (bench): Jeffrey Greeson; AR2 (opposite): Gjovalin Bori; 4th: Elijio Arreguin; VAR: Sorin Stoica; AVAR: Jozef Batko
MLS Career: 51 games; FC/gm: 27.4; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 9; pens: 16
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Inter Miami 1 wins, 3 goals … Union 2 wins, 6 goals … Ties 0
AT INTER MIAMI: First meeting.
· Inter Miami saw their losing skid continue, dropping a 5-0 decision to the New England Revolution at DRV PNK Stadium on Wednesday evening.
· The Union went down to defeat for the first time in three games, falling 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Thursday evening. Kacper Przybylko scored the Union goal, his fifth of the season, his second in as many matches.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Gonzalo and Federico Higuaín each scored – the first pair of brothers to score in the same game in MLS history – as Inter Miami CF took a 2-1 win April 24 at Subaru Park.
· The teams met twice in Inter Miami’s inaugural campaign, and the Union won both. Kai Wagner and Kacper Przybylko netted goals as the Union took a 2-1 win during group play at the MLS is Back Tournament on July 14; Anthony Fontana, Ilsinho and Brenden Aaronson all netted goals as the Union claimed a 3-0 win Sept. 27 at Subaru Park.
IMCF: Inter Miami saw three players make their club and MLS debuts: Kieran Gibbs, Nick Marsman and Indiana Vassilev. Marsman started as the goalkeeper while Gibbs and Vassilev came off the bench in the second half.
UNION: Dániel Gazdag collected his second assist in MLS, both coming in the last two matches. … Olivier Mbaizo recorded his second career MLS assist, both coming in the last three games.
D.C. UNITED vs. NEW YORK RED BULLS
Sunday, July 25, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #198)
Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
8 p.m. ET (NBCS-Wash / TeleXitos; MSG)
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): C.J. Morgante; AR2 (opposite): Benjamin Pilgrim; 4th: Kevin Broadley; VAR: Daniel Radford; AVAR: Matthew Nelson
MLS Career: 138 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 18; pens: 51
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: D.C. United 35 wins (1 shootout), 137 goals … Red Bulls 31 wins (1 shootout), 119 goals … Ties 15
AT D.C.: D.C. United 21 wins (1 shootout), 81 goals … Red Bulls 14 wins (1 shootout), 65 goals … Ties 7
· D.C. United came back for a dramatic draw, reaching a 2-2 result with Chicago Fire FC at Soldier Field on Wednesday evening.
· United scored twice in the final 10 minutes, Kevin Paredes getting his second of the season (both coming in the last three games) in the 82nd minute, and Ola Kamara converting a penalty kick for his sixth of the season, one of five players tied for ninth in the MLS Golden Boot standings.
· The Red Bulls stretched their undefeated run to three games with a second successive draw, playing to a 1-1 result with Toronto FC at BMO Field on Wednesday evening.
· Patryk Klimala scored his third MLS goal, a second consecutive game with a goal; he has a goal or an assist in three consecutive games, having been involved in each of the Red Bulls’ last four goals.
· The teams met twice a season ago, each winning on the other’s home ground. Erik Sorga scored his first MLS goal eight minutes into second-half stoppage time to give United the 1-0 win on Sept. 2 at Red Bull Arena – the latest in MLS history the game’s only goal was scored. Then on Sept. 12 at Audi Field, Aaron Long and Danny Royer scored either side of halftime for a Red Bulls 2-1 win.
· The United victory in the first meeting ended a 10-game Red Bulls undefeated streak in the series, with United’s last previous win coming on May 13, 2016, at RFK Stadium. The United victory also ended a 10-game Red Bulls undefeated streak in regular season matches at Red Bull Arena, their first win in Harrison since 2011. The Red Bulls have won three of the four meetings all-time at Audi Field.
· The teams have met 97 times in all competitions over the years – the most of any two clubs in MLS history. New York has won 36 and United have won 44, including a 7-4-2 record in the postseason. They play for the Atlantic Cup, awarded to the winner of the season series by supporters’ groups from both clubs.
UNITED: Junior Moreno collected his third assist of the season, his second in the last three games. … Yordy Reyna recorded his first assist of the season, in his fourth appearance this year.
RED BULLS: Caden Clark came off the bench and played the final 36 minutes, his first appearance since June 18.
SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
Sunday, July 25, 2021 (Week 15, MLS Game #200)
Lumen Field, Seattle, Wash.
6 p.m. PT (JoeTV / Amazon Prime; Bally Sports KC)
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Sounders FC 9 wins, 23 goals … Sporting 7 wins, 24 goals … Ties 4
AT SEATTLE: Sounders FC 5 wins, 10 goals … Sporting 3 wins, 7 goals … Ties 2
REFEREE: Ramy Touchan. AR1 (bench): Ian Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Jeff Hosking; 4th: Michael Radchuk; VAR: Hilario Grajeda; AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert
MLS Career: 45 games; FC/gm: 25.8; Y/gm: 4.4; R: 7; pens: 5
· Sounders FC claimed an historic victory, defeating Austin FC by the game’s only goal at Q2 Stadium on Thursday evening. The Sounders had five teenagers in the starting lineup – the most in a single game by one team in MLS history; it was the second-youngest starting lineup for a team in league annals.
· Raúl Ruidíaz scored the game’s only goal, his 11th of the season, taking over the lead in the MLS Golden Boot standings ahead of Javier Hernández (LA). Ruidíaz has six goals in his last nine MLS games.
· Sporting stretched their undefeated to four games following three wins on the trot, reaching a 1-1 result with the San Jose Earthquakes at Children’s Mercy Park on Wednesday evening.
· Daniel Sallói scored the stoppage-time equalizer, his eighth goal of the season, now in third place in the MLS Golden Boot standings, three off the league lead held by Raúl Ruidíaz (SEA).
· The teams last met during the 2019 season, and Sporting KC won both by 3-2 scorelines, May 26 at Children’s Mercy Park, and Aug. 4 in Seattle.
· Sporting are undefeated at home in the series over the last six meetings, with five wins in that time, dating back to 2013. Sporting has won on two of their last four visits to Seattle, since 2016 – their first wins there since a 1-0 win in 2009, the first meeting ever between the clubs.
SOUNDERS FC: Obed Vargas, signed under the Extreme Hardship provision for the match, became the third-youngest player in MLS history to both play in and start a match, aged 15 years, 351 days. Vargas is also the third player in league history who was born in Alaska – two of whom have made their league debuts this season (with Hunter Sulte, POR). … Reed Baker-Whiting became the sixth-youngest player to start a game, at age 16 years, 113 days; he is already the sixth-youngest to appear in a league match.
SPORTING: Sporting extended their undefeated streak at Children’s Mercy Park to 12 games, dating back to last Oct. 7, tied for the second-longest home unbeaten run in club history (record: 24 games, 6/19/2016-9/24/2017).