MLS MEDIA RESOURCES: WEEK 8 NEWS & NOTES
News and notes and statistical trends from around Major League Soccer
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER STADIUM BOOM REACHES RECORD PROPORTIONS
This weekend will see two landmarks in Major League Soccer stadiums, when another cathedral for the league opens, and the first one ever sees its final contest.
Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas will host its inaugural match on Saturday evening, with a capacity crowd of 20,500 expected as Austin FC takes on the San Jose Earthquakes (9 p.m. ET, UniMás / TUDN). Q2 Stadium is already the second new stadium to open this season in MLS, after FC Cincinnati saw their first match in TQL Stadium on May 16.
And as the doors open in one construction gem, Historic Crew Stadium will see its final league match, when the Columbus Crew take on Chicago Fire FC on Saturday evening. Crew Stadium became the first soccer-specific stadium built for the league, opening on May 15, 1999, before an overflow crowd of 24,741. Since that first match, the Crew have posted a record of 181 wins, 84 defeats and 82 draws.
On July 3, the Crew will play their first match at newly named Lower.com Stadium, when a capacity crowd is expected to see the Crew face the New England Revolution in the 24th stadium in Major League Soccer with construction with soccer in mind. Never before in the league’s history have three completely new stadiums opened in the same season.
Following is a look at the opening matches in stadiums built entirely from the ground up to house MLS teams during the league’s history. When opening their newly constructed stadiums, teams have won 13 and tied five.
YOUNG TALENT ADDING TO STUNNING FEATS IN RECORD WAYS
Stunning performance by young players in Major League Soccer continued in the last full round of matches, when two players added their name to the record books with remarkable free kick goals.
Gianluca Busio of Sporting Kansas City became the second-youngest player in Major League Soccer history to score directly from a free kick, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, when he curled home a magisterial effort off the post in the 51st minute of his club’s 3-2 win against Houston Dynamo FC on May 29 – just a day after his 19th birthday.
Just a few hours earlier, Cristian Casseres Jr. whipped home a thrilling effort of his own, in the 60th minute of the New York Red Bulls’ 2-1 win against Orlando City SC. At age 21 years, 129 days, Casseres is the 10th-youngest to score directly from a free kick in the league’s history.
SPORTING KC ATTACK AGAIN PUTTING ON RECORD PERFORMANCES
Sporting Kansas City created a little history, when they uncorked 22 total attempts at goal in the second half of their 1-1 draw with Austin FC at Children’s Mercy Park last weekend.
The 22 total shots equaled the fifth-most by a single team in one half of a game in league history. Remarkably, of the eight occurrences with 22 shots or more in a single half, Sporting Kansas City has three of them.
MLS WEEK 8 – LOOK AHEAD
NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. NASHVILLE SC
Friday, June 18, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #99)
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
8 p.m. ET (MSG; MyTV30)
REFEREE: Nima Saghafi. AR1 (bench): Brian Poeschel; AR2 (opposite): Eric Weisbrod; 4th: Natalie Simon; VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero; AVAR: Thomas Supple
MLS Career: 72 games; FC/gm: 26.8; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 9; pens: 24
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: First meeting.
· The Red Bulls put an end to a two-game losing slide, defeating Orlando City SC 2-1 at Red Bull Arena on May 29. Caden Clark scored his fourth goal of the season – tied for fifth in the MLS Golden Boot standings – all four goals have come in home games at Red Bull Arena.
· Nashville SC remained undefeated on the season through seven games, coming back for a 2-2 draw with Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on May 29. Down two goals, Nashville SC got a pair of goals from Hany Muhktar in the 80th and the 83rd minutes to secure the draw.
· The teams are meeting for the first time in their histories. They are also scheduled to meet on Decision Day (Nov. 7) at Nissan Stadium.
RED BULLS: Cristian Casseres Jr. scored his third goal of the season directly from a free kick – at age 21 years, 129 days the 10th-youngest to score a goal directly from a free kick in MLS history since records available from 2003). Casseres has tied his single-season career-high with three goals, also done in 2019. … Patrik Klimala collected his first career assist in MLS.
NASHVILLE SC: Matt LaGrassa recorded his first career assist in MLS, making his 11th appearance over two seasons. … Dominique Badji collected his first assist of the season, his first since last Sept. 12, when he also scored a goal vs. Atlanta United.
REAL SALT LAKE vs. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Friday, June 18, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #100)
Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
8 p.m. MT (TSN; KMYU-12)
REFEREE: Rubiel Vazquez. AR1 (bench): Jason White; AR2 (opposite): Jeremy Kieso; 4th: Victor Rivas; VAR: David Gantar; AVAR: Fabio Tovar
MLS Career: 45 games; FC/gm: 22.5; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 8; pens: 9
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Real 9 wins, 26 goals … Whitecaps FC 11 wins, 31 goals … Ties 4
RSL HOME GAME: Real 7 wins, 17 goals … Whitecaps FC 2 wins, 8 goals … Ties 3
· Real gained a third consecutive draw, reaching a 1-1 result with Minnesota United FC at Rio Tinto Stadium on May 29. Damir Kreilach scored his third goal of the season; he has a goal and/or an assist in four of six games played this season.
· Whitecaps FC suffered a third consecutive defeat last time out, falling 2-1 to Houston Dynamo FC at BBVA Stadium on May 22. Deiber Caicedo scored his first MLS and Whitecaps FC goal; he has a goal and an assist on the last two goals scored by the ‘Caps.
· The teams met twice a season ago, and Whitecaps FC won both, each by a 2-1 scoreline. In the first match, Lucas Cavallini hit for the match-winner in the 84th minute, giving Whitecaps FC the win Sept. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium, then on Oct. 10, Cavallini netted the game-winner in the 70th minute for the Vancouver victory at Providence Park.
· The Whitecaps FC win last year in Sandy ended a five-game RSL winning streak in the series at Rio Tinto Stadium. The teams are also scheduled to play July 7 at Rio Tinto Stadium, in what will be a Vancouver home game.
REAL: Aaron Herrera recorded his second assist of the season, both coming in the last two games, now with seven assists for his MLS career. … Pablo Ruiz collected his second assist this season, the first coming May 1, the third of his MLS career.
WHITECAPS FC: Lucas Cavallini collected the first assist of his MLS career, making his 25th appearance over two seasons. … Ryan Raposo recorded his second career assist in MLS, his first coming in his professional debut March 7, 2020 vs. LA Galaxy.
NEW YORK CITY FC vs. NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #101)
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
7:30 p.m. ET (YES; WSBK TV38 / MyRITV)
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. AR1 (bench): Cory Richardson; AR2 (opposite): Gjovalin Bori; 4th: Robert Sibiga; VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.; AVAR: Brian Dunn
MLS Career: 182 games; FC/gm: 22.1; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 45; pens: 75
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: NYCFC 5 wins, 18 goals … Revolution 7 wins, 21 goals … Ties 4
NYCFC HOME GAME: NYCFC 3 wins, 11 goals … Revolution 3 wins, 11 goals … Ties 2
· NYCFC gained a result for the fifth time in seven matches this season, putting an end to a three-game winless run in a 2-1 victory against Los Angeles Football Club at Banc of California Stadium on May 29.
· Jesús Medina scored his fifth goal of the season, tied for third in the MLS Golden Boot standings, also adding his first assist of the season, and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scored for a second consecutive game.
· The Revolution won their third game on the trot and extended their undefeated run to four games, defeating FC Cincinnati by the game’s only goal at TQL Stadium on May 29. Adam Buksa scored for a third consecutive game, now with four goals for the season, tied for fifth place in the MLS Golden Boot standings.
· The teams met three times a season ago, evenly splitting their season series. NYCFC claimed a 2-0 win behind two second-half goals at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 2; then on Oct. 11, Teal Bunbury scored early and Lee Nguyen late as the Revolution took a 2-1 win at Yankee Stadium. The teams also reached a goalless draw on Sept. 19 in Foxborough.
· The NYCFC win in the first meeting last year ended a four-game undefeated streak for the Revs in the series in Foxborough. NYCFC has won four of the eight meetings all-time in the Bronx.
NYCFC: Jesús Medina scored a goal and added an assist in the same game for the fourth time in his MLS career, the last coming July 3, 2019 vs. Seattle. … Anton Tinnerholm recorded his third assist of the season, all over the last five games.
REVOLUTION: Carles Gil recorded his league-leading fifth assist in MLS, a third consecutive game with an assist. It matches his longest consecutive game assist streak in his time in MLS (done twice previously in 2019). … Matt Turner was credited with four saves in recording his third shutout of the season.
TORONTO FC vs. ORLANDO CITY SC
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #102)
Exploria Stadium, Orlando, Fla.
7:30 p.m. ET (TSN; FOX35 Plus / LionNation)
REFEREE: Armando Villarreal. AR1 (bench): Logan Brown; AR2 (opposite): Peter Manikowski; 4th: Thomas Snyder; VAR: Rosendo Mendoza; AVAR: Kyle Longville
MLS Career: 154 games; FC/gm: 22.6; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 28; pens: 34
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Toronto FC 8 wins, 26 goals … Orlando City 3 wins, 12 goals … Ties 2
TORONTO HOME GAME: Toronto FC 4 wins, 14 goals … Orlando City 0 wins, 4 goals … Ties 2
· TFC fell to a second successive reversal, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Columbus Crew at Historic Crew Stadium on May 29. Ayo Akinola scored his first goal of the season, his first in MLS league play since last Nov. 1 vs. Inter Miami.
· Orlando City SC suffered their first defeat of the season after a six-game undefeated run to start the campaign, dropping a 2-1 decision to the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on May 29. Silvester van de Water scored his first OCSC and MLS goal; he has a goal and an assist in the last two games.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Tesho Akindele scored the game’s only goal in the 12th minute and Pedro Gallese kept a clean sheet for a second consecutive match as Orlando City SC took the win in their home game at Exploria Stadium on May 22.
· Toronto FC have won eight of the 13 meetings all-time, with two draws. All three of OCSC’s wins have come on their home ground; TFC has now won there four times vs. Orlando City, in six visits. TFC has won four of the six meetings all-time at BMO Field, without defeat; Orlando City’s lone result in Toronto came in a goalless draw on Sept. 28, 2016.
TFC: Alejandro Pozuelo, the 2020 MLS Most Valuable Player, made his 2021 season debut, coming off the substitutes’ bench for the final 35 minutes.
OCSC: Tesho Akindele collected his second assist of the season, both coming in the last three games. … Kyle Smith recorded his second assist of the season, both coming in the last two games.
COLUMBUS CREW vs. CHICAGO FIRE FC
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #103)
Historic Crew Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
7:30 p.m. ET (Bally Sports OH; WGN-TV)
REFEREE: Alex Chilowicz. AR1 (bench): Matthew Nelson; AR2 (opposite): Jeffrey Swartzel; 4th: Matthew Thompson; VAR: Jorge Gonzalez; AVAR: Craig Lowry
MLS Career: 45 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 6; pens: 13
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Crew 20 wins (0 shootout), 103 goals … Fire 26 wins (1 shootout), 93 goals … Ties 22
AT COLUMBUS: Crew 14 wins (0 shootout), 62 goals … Fire 10 wins (1 shootout), 40 goals … Ties 9
· The Crew won a second consecutive game, defeating Toronto FC 2-1 at Historic Crew Stadium on May 29. Luis Díaz netted his first MLS league goal since Sept. 14, 2019 to open the scoring, and Gyasi Zardes scored his first goal in league play this season.
· Pedro Santos recorded assists on both Crew goals, his second two-assist game in his MLS career, the first coming Aug. 25, 2019 vs. FC Cincinnati.
· Fire FC weren’t able to build upon a first victory in 2021, falling by the game’s only goal to CF Montréal at Soldier Field on May 29.
· The teams met twice a season ago. Darlington Nagbe and Gyasi Zardes each scored a goal and added an assist as the Crew eased to a 3-0 win Aug. 20 in Columbus. On Sept. 12 at Soldier Field, Djordje Mihailovic and Robert Beric scored early for the Fire, but Fatai Alashe and Gyasi Zardes scored late for the Crew, leaving the teams in a 2-2 draw.
· The Fire are undefeated in their last seven home meetings with Crew SC, with two wins and five draws, Crew SC’s last win at the Fire coming in 2015. Crew SC have a 10-game home undefeated streak alive in the all-time series. The Fire last won in Columbus on June 22, 2013.
CREW: Derrick Etienne Jr. collected his first assist of the season, his last coming last Oct. 18 vs. NYCFC. … The Crew have an all-time record of 181-84-82 entering the final match at Historic Crew Stadium.
FIRE FC: Two Fire FC players – Robert Beric and Luka Stojanovic – have both received their U.S. green cards and will no longer count as international players.
FC CINCINNATI vs. COLORADO RAPIDS
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #104)
TQL Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
7:30 p.m. ET (WSTR – Star 64; Altitude)
REFEREE: Baldomero Toledo. AR1 (bench): Eric Boria; AR2 (opposite): Adam Wienckowski; 4th: Danielle Chesky; VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr.; AVAR: Jeff Muschik
MLS Career: 291 games; FC/gm: 25.3; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 105; pens: 113
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FCC 0 wins, 1 goal … Rapids 1 win, 3 goals … Ties 0
AT CINCINNATI: First meeting.
· FC Cincinnati weren’t able to add to a first victory of 2021, falling by the game’s only goal to the New England Revolution at TQL Stadium on May 29.
· The Rapids won for a fourth time in five games, defeating FC Dallas 3-0 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on May 29. Michael Barrios scored a goal for a second consecutive game; Barrios has two goals and two assists over the last three games, having played a part in four of the Rapids’ seven goals over that span.
· The teams have met once in their histories, during the 2019 season. Andre Shinyashiki, Nicolas Mezquida and Diego Rubio all netted goals as the Rapids claimed a 3-1 win June 1 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
FCC: Jürgen Locadia made his second start of the season and played the full 90 minutes for the first time, his first start since May 1.
RAPIDS: Jack Price recorded his third assist of the season, tied for fourth in the MLS assist standings. … Keegan Rosenberry scored his first goal of the season, his first since last Nov. 1 vs. Seattle. He has scored one goal in each of the last four seasons. … Cole Bassett collected his first assist of the season, his last coming on Decision Day last year (Nov. 8) vs. Houston. … William Yarbrough was credited with six saves in recording his third shutout of the season.
D.C. UNITED vs. INTER MIAMI CF
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #105)
Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
8 p.m. ET (NBCS-Wash / TeleXitos; MyTV33 / TUDN App)
REFEREE: Fotis Bazakos. AR1 (bench): Peter Balciunas; AR2 (opposite): Claudiu Badea; 4th: JC Griggs; VAR: Ricardo Salazar; AVAR: Ian McKay
MLS Career: 109 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 21; pens: 36
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: D.C. United 2 wins, 5 goals … Inter Miami 0 wins, 1 goal … Ties 0
AT D.C.: D.C. United 1 win, 2 goals … Inter Miami 0 wins, 1 goal … Ties 0
· The teams are meeting for a second consecutive match, on either side of the international break. Ola Kamara scored a pair of goals and added an assist, and Paul Arriola also had a goal and an assist, as D.C. United rolled to a 3-0 win May 29 at DRV PNK Stadium, putting an end to a two-game losing slide.
· The teams met once in Inter Miami’s inaugural season last year. Yamil Asad and Frederic Brillant scored two minutes apart in the second half for United, overcoming a second-minute goal from Rodolfo Pizarro, leading D.C. to a 2-1 win March 7 at Audi Field.
UNITED: Paul Canouse collected his first assist of the season, his first in an MLS game since Sept. 2, 2018. … Adrien Perez recorded his second assist in his MLS career, both coming in the last four games. … Felipe Martins was credited with his first assist of the season, his first since collected his two assists of 2020 on July 13 at the MLS is Back Tournament.
IMCF: Julian Carranza made his first start of the season, following two appearances off the substitutes’ bench.
FC DALLAS vs. MINNESOTA UNITED FC
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #106)
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas
7:30 p.m. CT (FCDTV / Estrella KMPX-29; Bally Sports North / CW)
REFEREE: Marcos de Oliveira. AR1 (bench): Chantal Boudreau; AR2 (opposite): TJ Zablocki; 4th: Elton Garcia; VAR: Jon Freemon; AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
MLS Career: 45 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 4; pens: 13
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FC Dallas 5 wins, 16 goals … MNUFC 5 wins, 16 goals … Ties 0
AT FCD: FC Dallas 4 wins, 12 goals … MNUFC 0 wins, 4 goals … Ties 0
· FC Dallas went down to a 3-0 defeat to the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on May 29 in their last match before the break.
· MNUFC extended their undefeated run to three games, reaching a 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on May 29. Niko Hansen scored the 78th-minute equalizer, his first with Minnesota United.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Robin Lod scored the game’s only goal four minutes into second half stoppage time to give MNUFC the win May 15 at Allianz Field.
· Minnesota United have won the last three meetings between the teams, all in St. Paul, now with wins in four consecutive home games in the series. FC Dallas have won all four meetings at Toyota Stadium, last on Aug. 29 of last year, as Fafa Picault and Jesús Ferreira netted goals a minute apart early on, pacing FC Dallas to a 3-1 win.
FCD: Kalil ElMedkhar made his professional debut, coming on as a substitute for the final 13 minutes.
MNUFC: Adrien Hunou made his MLS and MNUFC debut, starting and playing 65 minutes. … Minnesota United is the first team in MLS history to have three players competing in the same European Championship – Ján Greguš (Slovakia), Robin Lod and Jukka Raitala (both Finland).
AUSTIN FC vs. SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #107)
Q2 Stadium, Austin, Texas
8 p.m. CT (UniMás / TUDN)
REFEREE: Ismail Elfath. AR1 (bench): Kyle Atkins; AR2 (opposite): Mike Rottersman; 4th: Silviu Petrescu; VAR: Edvin Jurisevic; AVAR: Andrew Bigelow
MLS Career: 166 games; FC/gm: 25.6; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 46; pens: 52
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: First meeting.
· Austin FC concluded their eight-game road streak to kick off their inaugural season with a second consecutive draw, reaching a 1-1 result with Sporting Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park on June 12.
· Cecilio Dominguez scored his third goal of the season, his first since netting a brace in Austin FC’s first-ever win, April 24 at the Colorado Rapids.
· The Quakes saw their losing skid extend to four games, falling to the LA Galaxy by the game’s only goal at Dignity Health Sports Park on May 29.
· The teams are meeting for the first time in their histories. They are also scheduled to face off Sept. 18 at Q2 Stadium, then on Oct. 20 at PayPal Park.
ATXFC: Jan Kolmanic collected his second MLS assist, his first coming April 24. … ATXFC concluded their eight-game road trip to start their inaugural season with 8 points from 8 games (2-4-2).
QUAKES: Judson made his first start of the 2021 season, playing the full 90 minutes; his last appearance was off the substitutes’ bench on May 7.
LA GALAXY vs. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #108)
Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, Calif.
6 p.m. PT (Spec SN; JOEtv / Amazon Prime)
REFEREE: Drew Fischer. AR1 (bench): Corey Rockwell; AR2 (opposite): Kathryn Nesbitt; 4th: Ismir Pekmic; VAR: Kevin Stott; AVAR: Felisha Mariscal
MLS Career: 141 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 19; pens: 41
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Galaxy 10 wins, 41 goals … Sounders FC 10 wins, 45 goals … Ties 11
AT GALAXY: Galaxy 6 wins, 24 goals … Sounders FC 4 wins, 20 goals … Ties 6
· The Galaxy won for a fourth time in four starts at Dignity Health Sports Park this season, defeating the San Jose Earthquakes by the game’s only goal on May 29. Jonathan Bond recorded 12 saves in posting his second shutout of the season, the second-most saves in a single game in the Galaxy’s 26-year history.
· Sounders FC remained undefeated on the season, gaining a third draw in eight matches, playing to a scoreless draw with Austin FC at Lumen Field on May 30. Stefan Cleveland was credited with three saves in recording his second shutout in three starts this season.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Raúl Ruidíaz scored a pair of goals, and Brad Smith netted a goal and added an assist, as Sounders FC cruised to a 3-0 win at Lumen Field on May 2.
· Sounders FC have come away with points on six of their last seven trips to Carson, with three wins and three draws. The Seattle win in 2016 ended an 11-game winless streak there in league and MLS Cup play.
· Sounders FC have scored 12 goals in the last three home meetings with the Galaxy. Sounders FC claimed a 5-0 victory Aug. 18, 2018 at CenturyLink Field, equaling the club’s record for margin of victory over its 10 MLS seasons, and the Galaxy equaling the biggest margin of defeat in their history (set twice previously). It was their first against the Galaxy at home in league play since 2014 (though Sounders FC did win twice at home in the MLS Cup Playoffs over that timeframe).
GALAXY: The Galaxy won a game 1-0 with the only goal coming through an own goal for the first time in the club’s 26-year history, in its 795th league game.
SOUNDERS FC: The shutout was Sounders FC’s fifth of the season, tied for the MLS lead (with the Philadelphia Union).
PORTLAND TIMBERS vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #109)
Providence Park, Portland, Ore.
7:30 p.m. PT (KPDX; Bally Sports KC)
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): Chris Elliott; AR2 (opposite): Ryan Graves; 4th: Lukasz Szpala; VAR: Younes Marrakchi; AVAR: Joshua Patlak
MLS Career: 133 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 18; pens: 51
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Timbers 4 wins, 14 goals … Sporting 7 wins, 18 goals … Ties 5
AT PORTLAND: Timbers 3 wins, 7 goals … Sporting 4 wins, 6 goals … Ties 2
· The Timbers saw their two-game winning run come to a half, falling 3-0 to the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on May 30.
· Sporting KC extended their undefeated streak to four games following three consecutive wins, reaching a 1-1 draw with Austin FC at Children’s Mercy Park on June 12.
· Daniel Salloí scored his fourth goal of the season, his third in the last four games, one of seven players tied for fifth place in the MLS Golden Boot standings.
· The teams last met during the 2019 season. Jeremy Ebobisse leveled terms in the 83rd minute, then Brian Fernandez scored the game-winner in stoppage time, giving the Timbers a 2-1 win on Sept. 7 at Providence Park, then Dairon Asprilla snatched a late equalizer as the teams reached a 2-2 draw Sept. 29 at Children’s Mercy Park.
· The Timbers win in the last meeting in Portland was their first home win in the series since 2016. The Timbers’ lone win in Kansas City came on April 27, 2013, a 3-2 victory; Sporting are 2-0-3 in the last five home meetings in the series.
TIMBERS: Logan Ketterer saw his shutout streak come to an end after 206 minutes without conceding a goal to start his league career, the fifth-longest for a goalkeeper from the start of his MLS career in history.
SPORTING: Johnny Russell collected his second assist of the season; both have come vs. Austin FC, the first on May 9.
LOS ANGELES FOOTBALL CLUB vs. HOUSTON DYNAMO FC
Saturday, June 19, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #110)
Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, Calif.
8 p.m. PT (UniMás / TUDN)
REFEREE: Joseph Dickerson. AR1 (bench): Jeremy Hanson; AR2 (opposite): Jeffrey Greeson; 4th: Timothy Ford; VAR: Ramy Touchan; AVAR: Apolinar Mariscal
MLS Career: 46 games; FC/gm: 27.2; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 8; pens: 14
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: LAFC 4 wins, 18 goals … Dynamo 0 wins, 11 goals … Ties 3
AT BANC OF CALIFORNIA STADIUM: LAFC 3 wins, 9 goals … Dynamo 0 wins, 4 goals … Ties 0
· LAFC weren’t able to build upon a second victory of the season, falling 2-1 to New York City FC at Banc of California Stadium on May 29. Corey Baird scored his third goal of the season, a second consecutive game with a goal or an assist; he has a goal and/or an assist in five of seven games this season.
· Dynamo FC suffered a 3-2 loss to Sporting Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park on May 29. Maximiliano Urruti scored his fourth goal of the season, a second consecutive game with a goal, tied for fifth in the MLS Golden Boot standings; Matias Vera also netted the first of his MLS career in his third season.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Corey Baird scored the opener for LAFC in the 55th minute, but Tyler Pasher leveled terms for Dynamo FC two minutes later, and the teams settled for a 1-1 draw May 1 at BBVA Stadium.
· LAFC has never lost to the Dynamo in seven meetings all-time, winning three in a row before draws in the last two meetings. LAFC has won all three meetings at Banc of California Stadium, with a 9-4 edge in goals scored.
LAFC: Corey Baird has been involved in four of LAFC’s last five goals, over the last five games, since May 1 (two goalls, two assists).
DYNAMO FC: Maximiliano Urruti collected his first assist of the season, his first since last Oct. 24 while with Montréal. It was the ninth time in his MLS career he’s had at least a goal and an assist in the same game. … Mateo Bajamich recorded his first career MLS assist, in his second appearance. … Darwin Céren recorded his first assist of the season, his first since last Oct. 18.
ATLANTA UNITED vs. PHILADELPHIA UNION
Sunday, June 20, 2021 (Week 8, MLS Game #111)
Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Ga.
2 p.m. ET (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)
REFEREE: Ted Unkel. AR1 (bench): Michael Barwegen; AR2 (opposite): Adam Garner; 4th: Nima Saghafi; VAR: Malik Badawi; AVAR: Jozef Batko
MLS Career: 110 games; FC/gm: 23.6; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 34; pens: 54
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: ATLUTD 3 wins, 12 goals … Union 1 win, 7 goals … Ties 2
AT ATLANTA: ATLUTD 2 wins, 7 goals … Union 0 wins, 2 goals … Ties 1
· ATLUTD extended their undefeated streak to four games with a third draw in that time, reaching a 2-2 draw with Nashville SC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on May 29. Marcelino Moreno netted his third goal of the season, all coming in the last five games, and Erik López scored his first goal in MLS.
· The Union won a third consecutive game and extended their league undefeated streak to five matches, defeating the Portland Timbers 3-0 at Subaru Park on May 30. Kacper Przybylko scored his third goal of the season, a second consecutive game with a goal, and added an assist; he has eight goals and two assists in 12 games in all competitions this season.
· Andre Blake was credited with four saves in recording his third consecutive shutout, extending his goalless streak to 275 minutes. Blake leads MLS with five shutouts this season, in eight games.
· The teams are meeting for the first time in league play this season, but they did meet in the quarterfinals of the Concacaf Champions League. In the first leg, Kacper Przybylko scored a pair of goals and assisted on a third as the Union took a 3-0 win at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on April 27. Przybylko then scored late in the second leg to seal the tie in a 1-1 draw, the Union advancing 4-1 on aggregate.
· The teams last met during the 2019 season in regular season play, reaching a 1-1 draw March 17 in Atlanta, then the Union taking a 3-1 win Aug. 31 in Chester. They then met in an Eastern Conference Semifinal at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, ATLUTD getting goals from Julian Gressel and Josef Martínez for a 2-0 win.
· The Union have won once in six league meetings all time – the last regular season encounter in 2019. ATLUTD had won three of the first five meetings, with two draws, since coming into MLS.
ATLUTD: Marcelino Moreno collected his second career assist in 13 MLS appearances, the first coming last Oct. 28 vs. Orlando City. … Miles Robinson recorded the first assist of his MLS career, coming in his 68th career league appearance over four seasons. … George Bello recorded his second career assist in MLS, his first coming last Sept. 19 vs. Inter Miami.
UNION: Sergio Santos scored his first goal of the season, his first since last Decision Day (Nov. 8) vs. New England, the 13th of his MLS career over three seasons. … Kai Wagner collected a pair of assists, the second two-assist game of his MLS career (the first last Oct. 24 vs. Toronto FC). … Jack Elliott scored his first goal of the season, his first since last Oct. 7 vs. FC Cincinnati; Elliott has scored at least one goal in each of his five MLS seasons. … Cory Burke collected the second assist of his MLS career, his first coming in his league and Union debut, March 3, 2018 vs. New England.