MLS MEDIA RESOURCES: WEEK 3 NEWS & NOTES
News and notes and statistical trends from around Major League Soccer
JAVIER HERNÁNDEZ SET UP FOR MORE HISTORY WITH LA GALAXY
Javier Hernández of the LA Galaxy has put his stamp on the MLS record book – and has a chance to make even more history – after netting his first league hat trick vs. the New York Red Bulls last Sunday afternoon at Dignity Health Sports Park.
The man also known as “Chicharito”, Hernández began his second season in MLS with a two-goal performance at Inter Miami CF in the season opener on April 18, leading his club to a 3-2 victory. Then last weekend in the club’s home opener, Hernández hit for all three Galaxy goals on their way to becoming the only club with two wins in two starts to kick off the 2021 campaign.
The only other player to score five goals in his club’s first two games of a season was Brian Ching, who scored five goals over the first two games in Houston Dynamo club history in 2006, four of those coming in the club’s inaugural match.
Hernández is already one of six players with as many as five players in a club’s first three games of a season – and he still has one game ahead, when the Galaxy face Seattle Sounders FC at Lumen Field on Sunday evening (9 p.m. ET, FS1). The only player in MLS history with six goals in a club’s first three games of a season is Ante Razov, who scored two goals in each of the Chicago Fire’s initial three games in 1999, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Hernández has also become one of six MLS players born in Mexico to score a hat trick. The only player with more than one is Carlos Vela of Los Angeles Football Club, who had a brace of three-goal games during the 2019 season.
HIGUAÍN BROTHERS SCORE AN MLS FIRST IN 26th SEASON
Gonzalo and Federico Higuaín created history on April 24 when the brothers scored both of Inter Miami CF’s goals in their 2-1 win vs. the Philadelphia Union. The Higuaín brothers became the first set of brothers to score a goal in the same game, after 5,486 regular season MLS games.
Earlier in the match, Federico set up Gonzalo for the opening goal in the match – the eighth time brothers have combined on goals in MLS history. Three of those instances have come in the last two seasons, with the Chará brothers (Diego and Yimmi) doing it twice a season ago with the Portland Timbers.
The Higuaíns last year became the 18th set of brothers to be members of the same team in league history. Currently, there are four sets of brothers currently on the same team in the league: Cristian and Alex Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC); Diego and Yimmi Chará (Portland Timbers); and Gabriel and Nicholas Slonina (Chicago Fire FC), along with the Higuaíns.
TIMBERS’ BLAKE BODILY JOINS RARE CLUB IN LEAGUE DEBUT
Blake Bodily of the Portland Timbers made his MLS league debut last Saturday evening, when the Homegrown Player started vs. Houston Dynamo FC at Providence Park. But last year, Bodily had become the eighth player in MLS history to have appeared in a game in the MLS Cup Playoffs before he made his regular-season debut in the Western Conference match vs. FC Dallas at Providence Park, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
Bodily had actually already made his MLS competitive debut before last year’s postseason, coming on as a late substitute in the quarterfinals of the MLS is Back Tournament vs. New York City FC last Aug. 1. Of the eight players who made their playoff debut before their league debut, three actually never played in an MLS regular season game (McKinley Tennyson, LA 2002; Eddie Ababio, COL 2011; Digão, NYR 2012).
MLS WEEK 3 – LOOK AHEAD
NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. CHICAGO FIRE FC
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #27)
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
1 p.m. ET (MSG; WGN-TV)
REFEREE: Ted Unkel. AR1 (bench): Peter Balciunas; AR2 (opposite): Ryan Graves; 4th: Nima Saghafi; VAR: Hilario Grajeda; AVAR: Brian Dunn
MLS Career: 107 games; FC/gm: 23.7; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 33; pens: 54
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Red Bulls 19 wins, 79 goals … Fire 28 wins, 96 goals … Ties 13
AT RED BULLS: Red Bulls 14 wins, 48 goals … Fire 12 wins, 44 goals … Ties 3
· The Red Bulls suffered a second defeat in two matches to open the season, falling 3-2 to the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday. Andrew Gutman scored the first goal of his MLS career (in his third season), while Cristian Casseres Jr. also scored his first of the year.
· Fire FC went on the road for the first time in 2021 and suffered a 3-1 reversal to Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Luka Stojanović scored his second goal in as many games for the Fire marker, as Boris Sekulic picked up a second assist in as many games.
· The teams met once a season ago. Kyle Duncan scored for the Red Bulls, then Fire FC took the lead through goals from Robert Beric and Przemyslaw Frankowski, but Brian White hit for the leveler in stoppage time to leave the teams in a 2-2 draw Oct. 24 at Soldier Field.
· The Red Bulls have won four of the last five meetings in Harrison, the Fire win in that span coming April 21, 2018 in a 2-1 win, their first victory overall vs. the Red Bulls since Aug. 26, 2015. The Fire win in the final meeting in Bridgeview, a 1-0 win March 30, 2019, was their first in the series at home since 2015.
RED BULLS: Brian White collected his first assist of the season, the fourth of his MLS career and his second in the last four league games (dating back to the end of last season).
FIRE FC: Francisco Calvo recorded his first assist of the season, his second in the last four league games dating back to the end of last season.
REAL SALT LAKE vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #28)
Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
12 noon MT (KMYU-12; Bally Sports KC+)
REFEREE: David Gantar. AR1 (bench): Mike Rottersman; AR2 (opposite): Kevin Lock; 4th: Alex Chilowicz; VAR: Allen Chapman; AVAR: Craig Lowry
MLS Career: 97 games; FC/gm: 23.9; Y/gm: 2.8; R: 36; pens: 22
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Real 13 wins, 41 goals … Sporting 11 wins, 40 goals … Ties 8
AT SALT LAKE: Real 9 wins, 26 goals … Sporting 4 wins, 19 goals … Ties 3
· Real Salt Lake opened their 2021 season with a 2-1 win against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Saturday evening. Anderson Julio scored both RSL goals on his club and MLS debut – the first two-goal game by an RSL player since Corey Baird did it Aug. 10, 2019.
· Sporting KC gained a second result from two games on the season, reaching a 1-1 draw with Orlando City SC in their home opener at Children’s Mercy Park on Friday evening. Gianluca Busio scored his first goal of the season for the SKC tally.
· The teams met twice a season ago, and Sporting won both by 2-0 scorelines. Johnny Russell scored in the first minute and Gerso Fernandes in the 86th, as Sporting took the win on July 22 during the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament, then Khiry Shelton and Erik Hurtado scored on either side of halftime as Sporting took the victory on Decision Day (Nov. 8) at Rio Tinto Stadium.
· Real Salt Lake had won both meetings in 2019, once at each ground, a 2-0 win June 29 in Sandy, and a 2-1 win Aug. 10 at Children’s Mercy Park.
· The teams of course also met in MLS Cup 2013, Sporting winning in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw through 120 minutes. They faced each other in the Western Conference Semifinals in 2018, SKC winning the series 5-3 on aggregate.
REAL: Rubio Rubin assisted on both RSL goals, the first two assists of his MLS career in his league and Real debut. He’s the first RSL player with two assists in a game since Corey Baird did it last Aug. 29 at Portland.
SPORTING: Daniel Salloí recorded his first assist of the season, his first in MLS since Sept. 7, 2019, at Portland.
CF MONTRÉAL vs. COLUMBUS CREW SC
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #29)
DRV PNK Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
3 p.m. ET (TVA Sports / CTV / TSN; Bally Sports OH)
REFEREE: Timothy Ford. AR1 (bench): Corey Rockwell; AR2 (opposite): Kevin Klinger; 4th: Silviu Petrescu; VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero; AVAR: Jozef Batko
MLS Career: 27 games; FC/gm: 20.9; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 6; pens: 5
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: CFM 8 wins, 31 goals … Crew SC 10 wins, 32 goals … Ties 3
MONTREAL HOME GAME: CFM 6 wins, 17 goals … Crew SC 2 wins, 7 goals … Ties 1
· CF Montréal remained undefeated on the young campaign, playing to a 2-2 draw with Nashville SC at Nissan Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Mason Toye scored his second goal in as many games, while Zachary Brault-Guillard netted his first professional goal in his third season with the club.
· Crew SC return to league play after a weekend off, after opening the season with a scoreless draw with the Philadelphia Union on April 18 at Historic Crew Stadium. Eloy Room was credited with five saves in recording the shutout – his third in three competitive matches in 2021 (two in the Concacaf Champions League).
· The teams met once a season ago. Lassi Lappalainen scored in the first half and Bojan Krkic in the second as Montréal took a 2-1 win Oct. 7 in Columbus.
· The Montréal win last season ended a two-game home winning streak in the series for Crew SC, who have won eight of the 12 meetings all-time in Columbus, with two draws. The lone Impact win there came in 2015. The Impact have won the past two meetings in the series in Montréal.
CFM: Samuel Piette contributed his first assist of the season, his first since last Sept. 13 at Vancouver, his sixth career assist in five MLS seasons. … Romell Quioto collected his first assist of the season, after scoring in the season opener; he has a goal or an assist in each of his last three league games (dating back to last season), with two goals and two assists in that span.
CREW SC: The Crew face CF Monterrey of Mexico in the first leg of their quarterfinal series in the Concacaf Champions League on Wednesday evening at Historic Crew Stadium.
HOUSTON DYNAMO FC vs. LOS ANGELES FOOTBALL CLUB
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #30)
BBVA Stadium, Houston, Texas
2:30 p.m. CT (Univision; TUDN)
REFEREE: Robert Sibiga. AR1 (bench): Ian Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Jeremy Kieso; 4th: Joseph Dickerson; VAR: Daniel Radford; AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
MLS Career: 117 games; FC/gm: 21.6; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 24; pens: 33
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Dynamo 0 wins, 10 goals … LAFC 4 wins, 17 goals … Ties 2
AT HOUSTON: Dynamo 0 wins, 3 goals … LAFC 1 win, 5 goals … Ties 1
· Dynamo FC went on the road for a first time this season and fell 2-1 to the Portland Timbers at Providence Park on Saturday evening.
· LAFC remained undefeated on the season, gaining a 1-1 draw with Seattle Sounders FC at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Eduard Atuesta netted the LAFC’s goal directly from a free kick in the second minute, a second season in a row LAFC scored a goal straight from a free kick in the season’s second week (Carlos Vela, March 8, 2020, vs. Philadelphia).
· The teams met twice a season ago. Diego Rossi and Eddie Segura netted goals in the opening 21 minutes and LAFC took a 2-1 win Oct. 28 at Banc of California Stadium. The teams also played to a breathless 3-3 draw during the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament on July 13.
· LAFC has never lost to the Dynamo in six meetings all-time, winning three in a row before last year’s draw. LAFC won the last meeting in Houston, a 3-1 win July 12, 2019; they reached a 2-2 draw in their first meeting ever, July 3, 2018 at BBVA Stadium.
DYNAMO FC: Darwin Quintero made his 2021 season debut, coming on as a 78th-minute substitute vs. Portland.
LAFC: The Atuesta goal was the sixth directly from a free kick in LAFC club history – four of those coming in the club’s inaugural season (and three scored by Laurent Ciman).
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. ATLANTA UNITED
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #31)
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass.
7 p.m. ET (MyRITV / MyTV38; Bally Sports South/SE)
REFEREE: Chris Penso. AR1 (bench): Corey Parker; AR2 (opposite): Jason White; 4th: Thomas Snyder; VAR: Sorin Stoica; AVAR: Thomas Supple
MLS Career: 171 games; FC/gm: 23.7; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 51; pens: 66
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Revolution 0 wins, 3 goals … ATLUTD 4 wins, 15 goals … Ties 2
AT NEW ENGLAND: Revolution 0 wins, 1 goal … ATLUTD 1 win, 3 goals … Ties 2
· The Revolution remained undefeated on the season with their first victory of the year in their home opener at Gillette Stadium, defeating D.C. United by the game’s only goal on Saturday evening, the lone tally coming from an own goal.
· Atlanta United stayed undefeated with their first victory of the season, defeating Chicago Fire FC 3-1 in their home opener at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday evening. Ezequiel Barco scored his first goal of the season through a deflected free kick, and Emerson Hyndman also netted a goal.
· The teams did not meet in the 2020 season. In 2019, ATLUTD won both matchups; Ezequiel Barco scored goals on either side of halftime, leading Atlanta United to a 2-0 win on April 13 at Gillette Stadium, then Darlington Nagbe, Josef Martínez and Julian Gressel sent ATLUTD on their way to a 3-1 win on Decision Day (Oct. 6) at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
· Atlanta United have never lost to the Revolution in their history, with four victories and two draws all-time.
· ATLUTD have won all three meetings at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, a 2-1 win in 2018, and 7-0 victory on Sept. 13, 2017, in a match that equaled the all-time MLS margin of victory, the most goals ever scored in a single game by an expansion team. The win at Gillette Stadium was the first after two draws.
REVOLUTION: The win against D.C. United marked the third time in Revolution they won by the game’s only goal coming from an own goal. The first two occasions came in the club’s first two seasons ever – and the first win in club history came by a 1-0 scoreline and the game’s lone goal an own goal (4/20/1996, 1-0 at MET). The second came 3/19/1997, 1-0 at DAL.
ATLUTD: Atlanta United went down to a 3-0 defeat in the first leg of their Concacaf Champions League quarterfinal vs. Philadelphia Union at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Tuesday evening. The return match is set for May 4 at Subaru Park.
PHILADELPHIA UNION vs. NEW YORK CITY FC
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #32)
Subaru Park, Chester, Pa.
7:30 p.m. ET (PHL17; YES)
REFEREE: Ismail Elfath. AR1 (bench): Kathryn Nesbitt; AR2 (opposite): Jose da Silva; 4th: Matthew Franz; VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr.; AVAR: Adam Wienckowski
MLS Career: 163 games; FC/gm: 25.6; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 45; pens: 52
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Union 4 wins, 16 goals … NYCFC 7 wins, 20 goals … Ties 1
AT UNION: Union 3 wins, 8 goals … NYCFC 3 wins, 7 goals … Ties 0
· The Union went down to their first loss of the season, falling 2-1 to Inter Miami CF at Subaru Park on Saturday evening. Andre Blake saw his shutout streak come to an end after 342 minutes of competitive play this season (two league games, two Concacaf Champions League games).
· On Tuesday, the Union claimed a massive victory in the Concacaf Champions League, defeating Atlanta United 3-0 in the first leg of their quarterfinal tie at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Kacper Przybylko scored a pair of goals in the second half before Anthony Fontana finished it off late. The return match is set for May 4 at Subaru Park.
· NYCFC recorded the biggest victory in the club’s history, equaled their record for goals in a game in a 5-0 win against FC Cincinnati at Yankee Stadium. It was the second consecutive game at Yankee Stadium where NYCFC netted five goals (last in a 5-2 win vs. New York Red Bulls on Nov. 1, 2020).
· Jesús Medina scored two goals, the second two-goal game of his MLS career (last: Sept. 7, 2019 vs. NE). Medina has five goals in his last six league games, dating back to last Oct. 24.
· Valentin Castellanos netted his second goal of the season, after scoring in the season opener, and also added his first assist of the year. Gudmundur Thorarinsson scored directly from a free kick, the first by an NYCFC player since Jesús Medina did it last Sept. 26 – vs. FC Cincinnati.
· The teams met once a season ago. Alejandro Bedoya netted the game’s only goal in the 63rd minute, as the Union took the victory in the opening group game at the MLS is Back Tournament at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex.
· NYCFC have won eight of the last 10 meetings between the teams, including the last four league meetings in the Bronx, and a matchup in the Knockout Round in 2018, a 3-1 victory at Yankee Stadium. The Union win last year ended a three-game NYCFC winning streak in the league series.
UNION: Jamiro Monteiro scored his first goal of the season, his eighth in three MLS campaigns. He has three goals in the club’s last five league games, dating back to the end of last season. … Leon Flach collected his first career assist in MLS. … Kacper Przybylko collected his first assist of the season, his last in MLS coming when he had three on Oct. 24, 2020 vs. Toronto FC.
NYCFC: Valentin Castellanos scored a goal and added an assist in the same game for the fifth time in his MLS career – the third time in the last four league games dating back to last Nov. 1. Castellanos has scored in each of his last four regular season games, with six goals in that span. … Maximiliano Moralez collected his first assist of the season; he has four assists in his last four games dating back to last year. … Alfredo Morales and Andres Jasson each recorded their first career assists in MLS.
ORLANDO CITY SC vs. FC CINCINNATI
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #33)
Exploria Stadium, Orlando, Fla.
7:30 p.m. ET (FOX35 Plus / LionNation TV; WSTR – Star 64)
REFEREE: Drew Fischer. AR1 (bench): Logan Brown; AR2 (opposite): Brian Poeschel; 4th: Marcos de Oliveira; VAR: Jorge Gonzalez; AVAR: Kyle Longville
MLS Career: 138 games; FC/gm: 25.1; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 19; pens: 40
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: OCSC 1 win, 6 goals … FCC 0 wins, 2 goals … Ties 1
AT ORLANDO: OCSC 1 win, 5 goals … FCC 0 wins, 1 goal … Ties 0
· Orlando City SC played to their second draw of the season, playing to a 1-1 draw with Sporting Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park on Friday evening. Nani scored the OCSC goal, the club’s first of the season.
· FC Cincinnati fell to their first loss of the season, falling 5-0 to New York City FC at Yankee Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
· The teams did not meet in the 2020 season. They met twice in FC Cincinnati’s inaugural season in 2019. Nani and Tesho Akindele each scored two goals as Orlando City SC cruised to a 5-1 win on May 19 at Exploria Stadium, the first meeting ever between the clubs; the teams reached a 1-1 draw Sept. 29 at Nippert Stadium.
OCSC: Chris Mueller collected his first assist of the season, his last coming in the final regular season game on Decision Day last year.
FCC: Cody Cropper made five saves in goal after being a late addition to the starting lineup when Przemysław Tytoń was injured before the match began. Tyton was still available as the backup goalkeeper.
MINNESOTA UNITED FC vs. AUSTIN FC
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #34)
Allianz Field, St. Paul, Minn.
7 p.m. CT (Bally Sports Extra/CW; KNVA [CW Austin])
REFEREE: Ramy Touchan. AR1 (bench): Claudiu Badea; AR2 (opposite): Jeffrey Swartzel; 4th: Fotis Bazakos; VAR: Edvin Jurisevic; AVAR: Eric Boria
MLS Career: 38 games; FC/gm: 25.6; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 7; pens: 5
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: First meeting.
· MNUFC suffered a second loss in two games to start their 2021 campaign, falling 2-1 to Real Salt Lake in their home opener at Allianz Field on Saturday evening. Robin Lod scored the Minnesota United goal, the club’s first of the season.
· Austin FC won for the first time in the club’s history, coming back for a 3-1 win against the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Saturday evening. Diego Fagundez scored the first goal in the club’s history in the 59th minute to pull ATX level, then Cecilio Domínguez netted a pair of goals four minutes apart to lead to the historic win.
· The teams are meeting for the first time in their histories. They are scheduled to play again May 1 at Allianz Field, then Oct. 16 at Q2 Stadium in Austin.
MNUFC: Justin McMaster collected his first career professional assist, in his second appearance.
AUSTIN FC: Cecilio Dominguez was the first player for an expansion team to score two goals in a game since Hany Muhktar did it for Nashville SC last Oct. 14. … Jon Gallagher collected the first assist of his MLS career, in his 18th appearance. … Rodney Redes and Zan Kolmanic each recorded their first career assists in MLS.
FC DALLAS vs. PORTLAND TIMBERS
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #35)
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas
7 p.m. CT (FCDTV / Estrella KMPX-29; KPDX)
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): Matthew Nelson; AR2 (opposite): Diego Blas; 4th: JC Griggs; VAR: Armando Villarreal; AVAR: Andrew Bigelow
MLS Career: 129 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 17; pens: 49
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FC Dallas 8 wins, 37 goals … Timbers 7 wins, 28 goals … Ties 7
AT DALLAS: FC Dallas 7 wins, 27 goals … Timbers 1 win, 12 goals … Ties 4
· FC Dallas fell to their first loss of the new season, dropping a 3-1 decision to the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on Saturday evening. Ricardo Pepi scored his first goal of the season, the third of his MLS league career.
· The Timbers claimed a 2-1 victory against Houston Dynamo FC in their 2021 home opener at Providence Park on Saturday evening. Dairon Asprilla and Cristian Paredes netted the Timbers goals, their first of the season. Paredes became the 19th player in MLS history to have a goal and an own goal in the same game.
· The teams last met in league play during the 2019 season, each winning at home. Jesús Ferreira and Reto Ziegler netted goals as FC Dallas took a 2-1 win on April 13 at Toyota Stadium, then Brian Fernández scored the game’s only goal for a Timbers win June 30 at Providence Park.
· The teams also met in an epic match in the MLS Cup Playoffs last year in Round One at Providence Park. Ricardo Pepi the equalizer for FC Dallas in second half stoppage time to leave the teams at 1-1, then FC Dallas won the penalty shootout 8-7, the 15 penalties converted (all in the first 15 attempts) the most in a penalty shootout in MLS history.
· The Timbers have won once in 12 league visits all-time to Toyota Stadium, in 2014. When FC Dallas won 3-1 at Portland on April 13, 2016, it was their first victory ever at Providence Park; the Timbers had won four of the first six league meetings there with two draws.
FCD: The Ricardo Pepi goal was the third of his MLS league career, in his 26th appearance; his second goal in his last four games in league and MLS Cup Playoffs action.
TIMBERS: Homegrown Player Blake Bodily made his MLS league debut, starting and playing 60 minutes, and collected his first career assist. His MLS debut had come in the quarterfinals of the MLS is Back Tournament last year (vs. NYCFC), and also appeared in the MLS Cup Playoffs vs. FC Dallas. … Pablo Bonilla recorded the second assist in his two MLS seasons, his first of the season. … Felipe Mora collected his first assist of the season, his third in two MLS seasons. … Bill Tuiloma notched his second career MLS assist, the first coming last July 23 (in the MLS is Back Tournament vs. LAFC).
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. D.C. UNITED
Saturday, May 1, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #36)
PayPal Park, San Jose, Calif.
8 p.m. PT (NBCS-CA; NBC-Wash+ / TeleXitos )
REFEREE: Kevin Stott. AR1 (bench): Cameron Blanchard; AR2 (opposite): Chris Elliott; 4th: Lukasz Szpala; VAR: Victor Rivas; AVAR: Fabio Tovar
MLS Career: 362 games; FC/gm: 24.4; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 84; pens: 96
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Earthquakes 17 wins (3 shootout), 59 goals … United 15 wins (0 shootout), 67 goals … Ties 8
AT SAN JOSE: Earthquakes 8 wins (1 shootout), 31 goals … United 5 wins (0 shootout), 29 goals … Ties 7
· The Quakes rebounded for their first victory of the season in their home opener at PayPal Park, defeating FC Dallas 3-1 on Saturday evening. Cade Cowell scored a goal and added an assist – both the second of his MLS career – while Oswaldo Alanis (penalty kick) and Cristian Espinoza also scored.
· D.C. United went on the road for the first time and suffered their first defeat, falling by the game’s only goal to the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday evening.
· The teams did not meet in the 2020 season. They reached a 1-1 draw in their last meeting, June 1, 2019 at Audi Field, D.C. United extending their undefeated streak in the series to three games.
· United have taken points on four of their last five visits to northern California, including wins on two of the last three. They won the last meeting between the teams at Buck Shaw Stadium, a 2-1 win in 2014; United’s win there in 2011 was their first on the road against San Jose since 1998.
· The last meeting was the first at Audi Field in the series. In the last encounter at RFK Stadium, United took an historic 4-0 win as Patrick Mullins scored four goals over a 31-minute span in the second half – the fastest four goals scored by a player in MLS history, and the first player in 5,031 MLS league matches to score four goals in a half.
QUAKES: Oswaldo Alanis scored in the Earthquakes’ home opener for a second consecutive year (last year in the season opener, Feb. 29 vs. Toronto FC). … Cristian Espinoza has two goals in the last four games dating back to last season.
UNITED: D.C. United suffered a 1-0 loss with the only opposition goal scored through an own goal for the first time in the club’s history.
NASHVILLE SC vs. INTER MIAMI CF
Sunday, May 2, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #37)
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
12 noon CT (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)
REFEREE: Rosendo Mendoza. AR1 (bench): Kyle Atkins; AR2 (opposite): Eric Weisbrod; 4th: Joshua Encarnacion; VAR: Younes Marrakchi; AVAR: Ian McKay
MLS Career: 13 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 2.5; R: 2; pens: 3
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Nashville SC 1 win, 1 goal … Inter Miami 0 wins, 0 goals … Ties 1
AT NASHVILLE: Nashville SC 1 win, 1 goal … Inter Miami 0 wins, 0 goals … Ties 0
· Nashville SC reached a second successive 2-2 draw in a second consecutive game at Nissan Stadium to start the season, this time with CF Montréal on Saturday afternoon. Jhonder Cadíz scored his second goal in as many games, assisted by Randall Leal for the second time; Hany Muhktar also scored his first of the year.
· Inter Miami CF came back for a dramatic first win of the season, defeating the Philadelphia Union 2-1 at Subaru Park on Saturday evening.
· Gonzalo and Federico Higuaín netted the game-tying and game-winning goals 10 minutes late in the second half – become the first set of brothers to score goals in the same game in MLS history. Federico had assisted on Gonzalo’s goal in the 73rd minute, marking the eighth time in league history two brothers combined on a goal.
· The expansion class of 2020 met in Round One of the MLS Cup Playoffs, the first time since 1998 two expansion teams reached the same postseason, and Nashville SC took a 3-0 win Nov. 20 at Nissan Stadium behind goals from Randall Leal, Hany Mukhtar and Dax McCarty.
· The teams met twice during the regular season, a home-and-home series over a week, their first-ever meetings in league play. Anibal Godoy scored the game’s only goal as Nashville SC took the victory Aug. 30 at Nissan Stadium; the teams then reached a goalless draw Sept. 6 in Fort Lauderdale.
NASHVILLE SC: In the club’s inaugural season, Jhonder Cadíz and Randall Leal did not combine on a single goal (Leal had 3 goals, 4 assists; Cadíz scored 2 goals).
INTER MIAMI: Lewis Morgan collected his first assist of the season; he led Inter Miami with 8 assists in 2020. … Nicolas Figal recorded his first career assist in MLS, in his 23rd league appearance.
SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC vs. LA GALAXY
Sunday, May 2, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #38)
Lumen Field, Seattle, Wash.
6 p.m. PT (FS1 / FOX Deportes)
REFEREE: Jair Marrufo. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Jeff Hosking; 4th: Michael Radchuk; VAR: Malik Badawi; AVAR: Joshua Patlak
MLS Career: 275 games; FC/gm: 22.9; Y/gm: 2.8; R: 43; pens: 87
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Sounders FC 9 wins, 42 goals … Galaxy 10 wins, 41 goals … Ties 11
AT SEATTLE: Sounders FC 5 wins, 22 goals … Galaxy 4 wins, 17 goals … Ties 5
· Sounders FC remained undefeated on the campaign in their first away match of the year, reaching a 1-1 draw with Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
· Javier Hernández scored the first hat trick of his MLS career, leading the Galaxy to their second win in as many games in a 3-2 win against the New York Red Bulls at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday afternoon.
· Hernández has five goals in the opening two games of the season, the second player in MLS history to achieve that, joining Brian Ching, who did it April 2 (4 goals) and April 8 (1 goal) in 2006 for the Houston Dynamo.
· The teams met twice a season ago. Cristian Roldan scored a pair of goals and Jordan Morris had a goal and an assist as Sounders FC cruised to a 3-1 win Sept. 27 at Dignity Health Sports Park; Javier Hernández and Raúl Ruidíaz each netted second-half goals, Ruidíaz in stoppage time for the Sounders, as the teams reached a 1-1 draw Nov. 4 in Carson.
· Sounders FC have scored nine goals in the last two home meetings with the Galaxy. Sounders FC claimed a 5-0 victory Aug. 18, 2018 at CenturyLink Field, equaling the club’s record for margin of victory over its 10 MLS seasons, and the Galaxy equaling the biggest margin of defeat in their history (set twice previously). It was their first against the Galaxy at home in league play since 2014 (though Sounders FC did win twice at home in the MLS Cup Playoffs over that timeframe).
· Sounders FC have come away with points on six of their last seven trips to Carson, with three wins and three draws. The Seattle win in 2016 ended an 11-game winless streak there in league and MLS Cup play.
SOUNDERS FC: Brad Smith scored the Seattle goal – the first of his MLS career (in his fourth season). He has eight assists in 46 career league appearances.
GALAXY: Victor Vázquez recorded the first assist of his MLS career. … The Galaxy have won their opening two games for the first time since 2010, when they won their opening four matches (and 10 in their season-opening 12-game undefeated streak).
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC vs. COLORADO RAPIDS
Sunday, May 2, 2021 (Week 3, MLS Game #39)
Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
8 p.m. MT (TSN; Altitude)
REFEREE: Baldomero Toledo. AR1 (bench): Jeremy Hanson; AR2 (opposite): TJ Zablocki; 4th: Alex Chilowicz; VAR: Allen Chapman; AVAR: Craig Lowry
MLS Career: 289 games; FC/gm: 25.3; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 105; pens: 113
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Whitecaps FC 9 wins, 33 goals … Rapids 10 wins, 34 goals … Ties 5
VANCOUVER HOME GAME: Whitecaps FC 5 wins, 20 goals … Rapids 3 wins, 15 goals … Ties 4
· Whitecaps FC remained undefeated on the season, gaining a 2-2 draw with Toronto FC at Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Fla. on Saturday afternoon. Cristian Dajome scored his first goal of the season for Vancouver, and Andy Rose netted one, his first for the club since 2019.
· The Rapids suffered a reversal in their home opener at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, falling 3-1 to expansion side Austin FC on Saturday evening. Andre Shinyashiki scored the club’s first goal of the season for the Rapids tally.
· The teams did not meet in the 2020 season. In 2019, Andy Rose netted the game-winner three minutes from full time to lead Whitecaps FC to a 3-2 win on May 3 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park; the teams reached a 2-2 draw June 22 at BC Place.
· The Rapids won the previous meeting at BC Place, a 1-0 victory there July 1, 2018. It was their first win over their past six trips to Vancouver, their previous win there coming on April 5, 2014.
· Whitecaps FC have come away with points on each of their last four trips to Commerce City, Colo., winning twice (in both 2017 and 2018) – just their second and third wins ever at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The only other Whitecaps FC win in Commerce City came in 2012.
WHITECAPS FC: Cristian Gutierrez recorded an assist for a second consecutive game; all four of his career assists in MLS have come over the last three games (dating back to the season finale last year).
RAPIDS: Jack Price collected his first assist of the season, the 21st of his MLS career in four years, his last coming last Nov. 1 vs. Seattle.