Alberth Elis scored his fifth and sixth goals of the season in the second half to lift the Houston Dynamo to a 3-2 comeback victory over a depleted Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on Sunday afternoon.
Romell Quioto also scored early for the Dynamo, who secured their first away win despite seeing their lead turn into a deficit later in the first half when Nemanja Nikolic scored and then assisted Diego Campos in a two-minute stretch.
Elis equalized from the penalty spot 11 minutes after the break, converting a chance earned when Mauro Manotas beat Fire goalkeeper Richard Sanchez to the ball in the area.
Then Elis put the Dynamo in front for good when he finished off a counteratack created by fellow Honduran Boniek Garcia's service. That was enough to ensure victory against a Fire side that added Dax McCarty (hamstring) this week to their lengthy list of injured, unavailable players.
- 4' - HOU - Romell Quioto Watch
- 14' - CHI - Nemanja Nikolic Watch
- 16' - CHI - Diego Campos Watch
- 56' - HOU - Alberth Elis (PK) Watch
- 74' - HOU - Alberth Elis Watch
MAN OF THE MATCH:
After a relatively quiet first half, Elis livened in the second half. In addition to his brace, the 22-year-old also struck the right post with another attempt induced Sanchez into another late challenge beyond the penalty area after the Dynamo had regained the lead.
May 20, 2018
- CHI: Saturday, May 26 at Orlando City SC (7:30 pm ET | TV & streaming info)
- HOU: Friday, May 25 vs. New York City FC (8:55 pm ET | UniMás - full TV & streaming info)