Fredy Montero scored a goal in either half, one in the 43rd minute and the other in 2nd-half stoppage time, as Vancouver Whitecaps FC defeated the LA Galaxy, 3-0, at Providence Park in Portland on Sunday as part of Decision Day presented by AT&T.
It was the final match of the season for both Vancouver and LA, having been already eliminated from qualifying for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Neither team had a truly serious chance over the first part of the match until Lucas Cavallini opened the scoring in the 24th minute on a header past David Bingham, making it 1-0 for the 'Caps. In the 41st minute, LA's Julian Araujo was given his marching orders after Video Review determined his tackle of Cristian Gutierrez was a red card offense, and moments later Montero upped the Vancouver lead to 2-0.
That was more than enough for the Whitecaps in this one as the Galaxy were unable to find the breakthrough to shrink the deficit, its best chance of the night coming on a Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez free kick in the 75th that was saved brilliantly by Evan Bush and a great effort from just outside the box by Sacha Kljestan that was tipped over the bar by the Vancouver 'keeper. Montero would score in the first minute of 2nd-half stoppage time to give himself a brace on the day.
- VAN - 24' - Lucas Cavallini | WATCH
- VAN - 43' - Fredy Montero | WATCH
- VAN - 90'+1 - Fredy Montero | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams were entering the match with their eyes set on 2021 with their playoff fates already sealed. For the Galaxy, they'll be in search of their 4th full-time manager since Bruce Arena's departure in 2016 while hoping for much better things out of a Hernandez signing that fell well short of paying full dividends this season. The Whitecaps, out of the playoffs for a 3rd straight year, are again forced to evaluate things in an attempt to close the gap between them and the leading clubs in MLS.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Galaxy were looking for a spark with a quarter-hour to go despite being a man light, and turned to Hernandez to take a free kick to attempt to cut it to 2-1. Bush, though, had other ideas.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The Whitecaps looked to have a decent handle on this match, but Bush's 6 saves, none bigger than his stop of Hernandez, helped him secure a clean sheet to end the year in support of Montero's two-goal day.
- VAN: End of season.
- LA: End of season.