After a sluggish first half that saw both sides struggle to generate chances, perhaps in part due to the elements, Niezgoda got both of his goals shortly after second-half kickoff to send the Timbers on their way, with Mora's 86th-minute headed finish rounding out the scoring.
Niezgoda's first came in the 46th minute, as Diego Chara sent in a cross from the right side that the Polish striker rose up to meet, putting a perfectly placed header past the outstretched arm of San Jose goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski and into the net.
He added his second of the evening just six minutes later, capitalizing on a misplay by Marcinkowski that saw the goalkeeper fumble the ball in the box, giving Niezgoda a look on an open net after a botched clearance. Niezgoda made no mistake with the finish, slotting it home to double the lead.
San Jose thought they'd pulled one back in the 71st minute, when a corner kick popped free in the box and took a deflection toward the goal that was cleaned up with a point-blank finish by Tanner Beason. But Beason was adjudged to have been marginally offside before he finished the goal, even as it took some time to confirm the call.
Mora would then add an insurance tally for Portland just a few minutes from full time, heading home another cross from Diego Chara for the game's final goal.
- 46' - POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda | WATCH
- 52' - POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda | WATCH
- 86' - POR - Felipe Mora | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It wasn't the prettiest first half, but the Timbers controlled the action throughout the second, and now vault up into a tie with their Cascadia rival Seattle Sounders for first place in the Western Conference at 30 points with the result. They may not have Sebastian Blanco, but Gio Saverese's men have adapted quite well without their star attacker, and are proving they have what it takes to remain contenders in the West.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: With the sides locked in a scoreless deadlock after a first-half stalemate, Niezgoda's opener was both a pretty finish, and the catalyst Portland needed on their way to the victory.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Niezgoda was the man for the Timbers in this one, delivering in a big way with his first multi-goal game in MLS.