The Canadian international’s second MLS goal came just three minutes after Justin Meram leveled for RSL.
Fredy Montero, who was so influential in a 3-1 win over the Montreal impact at BC Place Wednesday, ran onto a terrific long ball from Michael Baldisimo and played it perfectly across the edge of the six-yard box where a sliding Cavallini put it past Andrew Putna.
Montero also set up David Milinkovic’s first MLS goal to give Vancouver a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute. It was another well-worked goal with Cristian Dajome running onto a clipped ball by Montero by the end line and cutting it back to an onrushing Milinkovic, who fired home first-time from just outside the six-yard box.
RSL were reduced to 10 men when Kyle Beckerman was sent off for his second bookable offense in the 63rd minute, following Video Review, for clipping Thomas Hasal with his foot. Despite the numerical disadvantage, they managed to equalize in the 81st minute when Meram beat Jake Nerwinski to a Maikel Chang service at the back post and headed in his 46th career MLS goal.
But Cavallini wrestled momentum back just three minutes later, ensuring the Whitecaps picked up their second straight win in a span of four days.
- 53’ — VAN — David Milinkovic | WATCH
- 81’ — RSL — Justin Meram | WATCH
- 84’ — VAN — Lucas Cavallini | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Whitecaps have their first winning streak of the season and considering how they did it and the circumstances — second game in four days, traveling to Utah — it could be one of those season-defining moments. Marc dos Santos’ guys have now three wins in their last four games. Meanwhile, for RSL its a second straight defeat at RioT, outscored 7-1 in those defeats.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Just when it looked like the hosts would rally to share the points, Cavallini scored his second MLS goal, coming off a suspension to score the winner.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Montero has found his mojo and the Whitecaps have reaped the benefits with six massive points from the last two games.