The Seattle Sounders beat the San Jose Earthquakes 7-1 in their Week 11 match at CenturyLink Field. And when you get a team scoring seven goals in a game, there are records set and others tied (watch all seven goals above):
Fastest five goals from kickoff
The Seattle Sounders set a new MLS record for the fastest five goals scored from the start of a match, needing only 33 minutes to do it:
Seattle #Sounders lead 5-0 at the half tonight vs San Jose.— MLS Communications (@MLS_PR) September 11, 2020
Their 5 goals in the opening 33 minutes of the game were the fastest from kickoff in #MLS history, the third time 5 goals were scored by one team before halftime.#SEAvSJ
The 29-minute gap between the Sounders' first and fifth goals equaled the sixth-fastest for five goals in MLS history.
Most goals in a first half
There were only two other times that an MLS team scored five goals in the first half:
Most goals in an MLS game
The Sounders' seven goals in the match finished one short of the all-time MLS record:
- 8 goals: LA Galaxy 8, Dallas 1 (June 4, 1998)
- 7 goals: Seattle 7, San Jose 1 (Sept. 10, 2020)
- 7 goals: LA Galaxy 7, Colorado Rapids 4 (May 6, 1998)
- 7 goals: Chicago Fire 7, Kansas City 0 (July 4, 2001)
- 7 goals: NYCFC 0, NY Red Bulls 7 (May 21, 2016)
- 7 goals: Atlanta United 7, New England Revolution 0 (Sept. 13, 2017)
- 7 goals: Sporting KC 7, Montreal Impact.1 (March 30, 2019)
- 7 goals: Minnesota 7, FC Cincinnati 1 (June 29, 2019)
- 7 goals: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting KC 2 (Sept. 15, 2019)
Most goals scored in a game by Seattle
The Sounders had scored six goals in an MLS match on two previous occasions. The seven tallies against San Jose are a new club record.
Most goals conceded in a game by San Jose
According to Robert Jonas, who covers the club, the Quakes had never conceded six goals in a match. They gave up seven.
Wondo adds to his all-time record
San Jose's Chris Wondolowski did score a goal in this one on a penalty kick to extend his all-time MLS record goal tally:
- Chris Wondolowski - 163 goals
- Landon Donovan - 145 goals
- Jeff Cunningham - 134 goals
- Jaime Moreno - 133 goals
- Kei Kamara - 129 goals
Most goals conceded after 9 matches
The seven goals conceded by San Jose made it 26 allowed on the year. That's a record for the first 9 matches of any team in any MLS regular season.