It's the first piece of major silverware for the club, in their second season of play, and they still have a shot of breaking the points record in a season in their final two games of the campaign.
LAFC grabbed the lead in the 23rd minute, through captain Carlos Vela. Brian Rodriguez was brought down in Houston's box by Aljaz Struna, with the Mexican scoring his 30th goal in league play this season from the penalty spot.
But the Dynamo equalized in short order, with LAFC goalkeeper Tyler Miller failing to catch a corner kick and the ball bouncing off him and into the net on the subsequent scramble. A few minutes later, a subsequent foul on Lee Nguyen originally ruled a penalty by referee Ramy Touchan was changed to a free kick just outside Houston's box following a Video Review. Vela's subsequent free kick struck the crossbar.
LAFC found another go-ahead goal, in the 70th minute. After putting Houston under sustained pressure for most of the second half, a Dynamo defensive deflection ended up clanging off the crossbar, and Diego Rossi scored on a diving header when the rebound set up perfectly for him.
Eduard Atuesta iced the result with a free kick that had a wicked curl around the wall in the closing minutes.
- 23' – LAFC – Carlos Vela (PK) | WATCH
- 28' – HOU – Tyler Miller (OG) | WATCH
- 70' – LAFC – Diego Rossi | WATCH
- 82' – LAFC – Eduard Atuesta | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's a historic night for LAFC, who dreamed of contending for titles right away and have carried through with that promise. The Dynamo gave them a game, but on a five-game winless streak, LAFC raised their game to get the vital win.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Rossi was Johnny on the spot to score the Shield-clinching goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Atuesta had the insurance tally on the night, but his all-around effort showcased his quality. He's making a case to be an MLS Best XI selection, and this is going to be one of the key games on his reel for that.