Nico Lodeiro scored twice, Jordan Morris scored and assisted on Lodeiro's first goal, and Victor Rodriguez blasted a shot off the leg of the Red Bulls' Sean Davis late in the game as the Sounders took sole possession of second place in the Western Conference. The Sounders are unbeaten in four of five.
The Red Bulls rallied from an early two-goal deficit they faced 23 minutes into the game. Aaron Long made it 2-1 in the 27th minute, and Kaku's second-half goal gave the Red Bulls a chance at a point or more. But the result ended up being their third straight loss.
- 2' – SEA – Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 23' – SEA – Nico Lodeiro | WATCH
- 27' – NY – Aaron Long | WATCH
- 67' – NY– Kaku | WATCH
- 83' – SEA – Sean Davis (OG) | WATCH
- 90+4 – SEA – Nico Lodeiro | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The schedule going forward isn't easy, but the Sounders put themselves in not only good position to clinch a postseason spot but to earn a home game. They scored in four different ways, with their second goal being three touches without the ball hitting the turf, the first off a set piece and the last one off a long ball from the back. The Red Bulls could have used at least a point, but they are still in playoff position in the East. They, too, have a tough schedule to close out the regular season, starting with what will be an angry Portland Timbers team at Providence Park coming off an own-goal loss.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Sounders took the lead for good late when Davis inadvertently beat his own goalkeeper trying to block Rodriguez's shot. The Red Bulls couldn't recover.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Put simply, when Lodeiro scores, the Sounders don't lose. They are undefeated in the six matches in which he has scored this season.