It was another wild 90 minutes in the Atlantic Cup.
Rooney appeared to elbow Cristian Casseres Jr. off the ball just before a D.C. United corner kick was to be whipped in and after Video Review, referee Ismail Elfath showed Rooney a red in the 24th minute. It was his second career MLS ejection. Before long, the clubs would be 10-v-10 after Tarek picked up his second yellow card for a challenge on Paul Arriola.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Red Bulls leap D.C. in the Eastern Conference standings as the hosts continue to drop. They'll be without Wayne Rooney in their next match and are still looking to rediscover their top form.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Kamara scored a golazo, but, Rooney's red will dominate the conversation from this one.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Cristian Casseres Jr. helped win the midfield battle for the Red Bulls and his effervescent energy was key in the second half as space opened up with both teams down to 10 men.
- DC: Saturday, August 24 at Philadelphia Union (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)
- RBNY: Saturday, August 24 vs. NYCFC (7 pm ET | ESPN2, MLS LIVE on DAZN)