In a wild game in which both teams finished a man down, it was LAFC that emerged victorious.
In the 48th minute, LAFC's Walker Zimmerman was shown his second yellow for a foul on Everton Luiz and was sent off. Fourteen minutes later, RSL's Aaron Herrera took down Vela in the box and was given a straight red for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Vela ripped his spot-kick into the top corner.
Vela's goal made history. With 24 goals and 15 assists in 2019, no player in league history has been involved in more goals scored in a single-season.
Before each team went a man down, the match was entertaining and fast-paced.
In the first half, LAFC thought they earned a penalty for a hand ball by Herrera, who was shown a red card after his goal-line clearance. But after Video Review, referee Baldomero Toledo judged Herrera to have blocked the ball with his chest to negate the penalty and red card. Before that, Diomande struck the post after a long, mazy run.
- THE BIG PICTURE: LAFC's quest for history continues on with another win, as the club aims for the league's single-season point record. RSL fought hard but failed to make the most of their brief man numerical advantage in a clustered Western Conference playoff picture.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Vela made history with this goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was Carlos Vela's night, it's Carlos Vela's season.
- RSL: Saturday, August 24 vs. Colorado Rapids (10 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN in Canada)
- LAFC: Wednesday, August 21 vs San Jose Earthquakes (10:30 pm ET | UniMas MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)