The forward struck for a brace, his first goals since August, 2017, to lift the Seattle Sounders to a 4-1 win, spoiling FC Cincy’s inaugural MLS match Saturday night at CenturyLink Field.
Morris followed six minutes later with the go-ahead goal, receiving a terrific through ball from Lodeiro and his attempt deflected in off FC Cincy defender Nick Hagglund.
Morris, who has fought back from a hamstring injury that limited him in 2017 and an torn ACL that wiped out his entire 2018 MLS season, netted his second two minutes before halftime. On a well worked counter attack, Victor Rodriguez slipped the ball to Morris, who buried his shot into the top corner of the net.
Raul Ruidiaz put the finishing touches on the lopsided win with his first goal of the year three minutes from full time.
- 13’ — FCC — Leonardo Bertone | WATCH
- 27’ — SEA — Kelvin Leerdam | WATCH
- 33’ — SEA — Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 43’ — SEA — Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 87’ — SEA — Raul Ruidiaz
- THE BIG PICTURE: Bertone’s goal was brilliant, but obviously there’s work to do, especially on the defensive side of the ball. But it’s just Game 1 for FC Cincinnati. Meanwhile, it’s been a long time coming for Morris, who got a deserved standing ovation in his first league game since Sept. 2017.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: This isn’t just the moment of the match, but a moment that will go down in FC Cincinnati lore.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Lodeiro the maestro deserves some nods, as does Rodriguez, but it has to be Morris, who opened his account and his season in magnificent fashion.