NYCFC raced out to a two-goal lead inside of 10 minutes as Maxime Chanot latched onto a Maxi Moralez corner kick for his first goal of the year and Auston Trusty directed a Ben Sweat cross into his own net just two minutes later.
Things got ugly for the Union just after the halftime whistle when Burke and Borek Dockal were separated following a verbal altercation. Dockal, who helped set up Burke’s 10th goal of the season, also had harsh words with the Jamaican forward late in the first half.
- 8’ — NYC — Maxime Chanot | WATCH
- 10’ — NYC — Auston Trusty (OG) | WATCH
- 14’ — PHI — Cory Burke | WATCH
- 34’ — NYC — David Villa | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: After winning just once in their last nine games, NYCFC emphatically booked a home Knockout Round game and the No. 3 seed in the East with a vintage performance. The Union, meanwhile, have to be troubled by the defensive performance and apparent in-fighting.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Sean Johnson made up for a foul that led to a penalty kick by denying Picault on said PK, diving to his right to make the same with the score 3-1.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: David Villa looked fresh, he looked dangerous and he scored his 14th goal of the season in what could well be his final regular season game at Yankee Stadium.