Cole Bassett and Tommy Smith scored late in the second half to erase a 1-0 FCD lead and drop FC Dallas all the way to No. 4 = in the Western Conference and a first-round date with the Portland Timbers in Texas later this week.
Maximiliano Urruti's 18th-minute goal was all FCD got on offense. FC Dallas lost a chance for a goal just before halftime when Roland Lamah drew what was originally called a penalty on Rapids defender Marlon Hairston for a foul in the box. But the play was overturned after Video Review.
Colorado finished the season at 8-19-7, second-to-last in the Western Conference. But they went undefeated over their last three games.
- 18’ — DAL — Maximiliano Urruti | WATCH
- 80’ — COL — Cole Bassett | WATCH
- 84' — COL — Tommy Smith | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: FC Dallas was atop the Western Conference in late September. But three straight losses to end the regular season plummeted them to fourth, and instead of time off, they will have to play in a few days. It was hard to explain the defensive letdown in the second half that allowed Colorado to take control, but FCD has already clinched a playoff spot. For the Rapids, a 2-0-1 finish is a positive they can take into the offseason despite where they ended up in the standings.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Smith's goal, a header into the near corner. At that point, FC Dallas still was in position for a first-round bye, but the attacking Rapids didn't let up.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The 17-year-old Bassett, a native of nearby Littleton, Colorado, notched his first career MLS goal. And this: