In the process, the Reds snapped a six-match winless streak as they try to stay alive in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They began the evening 11 points beneath the playoff line.
Nemanja Nikolic scored his 10th goal of the season off a set piece, but couldn't prevent Chicago from falling to an MLS-worst sixth home loss of the season. Only Colorado have suffered as many as five home defeats in 2018.
- 47' - TOR - Sebastian Giovinco | Watch
- 62' - CHI - Nemanja Nikolic | Watch
- 65' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's still a mighty long climb back into serious playoff contention, but Toronto will have to be encouraged by the number of projected preseason starters who made their way onto the field. Particularly impressive was Altidore's 80-minute shift in his first match action since late April. However, some think Altidore was fortunate not to draw a Video Review for the aftermath of Jorge Corrales' foul on him late in the first half.
Here is the elbow from Altidore. Clear foul as Corrales is basically riding his back. Jozy tries to throw him off and elbow cracks Corrales in the jaw. The defender left the game. Intentional? Not sure. pic.twitter.com/DKPGmg70a0— Paul Tenorio (@PaulTenorio) July 22, 2018
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Giovinco hit a crisp finish two minutes after halftime to open the scoring. But how about the service from Bradley deep in his own end to set up the goal?
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Osorio showed composure in letting defenders lunge by him before finishing off his winner from very close. Then he showed more as a key link in Toronto's attacking end as the Reds killed off the game by keeping most of the ball over the final 15 minutes.
- CHI: Saturday, July 28 at Toronto FC (7 pm ET | TSN — Full TV & streaming info)
- TOR: Canadian Championship — Wednesday, July 25 vs. Ottawa Fury FC (TBD | Canadasoccer.com; Yahoo! Sports Canada)