The excitement began in the 14th minute, when RSL midfielder Damir Kreilach was called for a handball in the box. Sebastian Giovinco stepped up for the subsequent penalty attempt, but Nick Rimando saved it to keep the game scoreless.
Just a few minutes later, RSL conceded another penalty, this time Justen Glad bringing down Altidore. The American stepped up to the spot this time and converted it. Altidore tallied his second goal just before the half, after picking up a ball bouncing toward him in the box and burying the one-timer.
While it looked like TFC would cruise to the win, RSL offered a fight late, as rookie substitute Corey Baird scored his first career goal in MLS in the final 10 minutes to cut the deficit. But Tosaint Ricketts came off the bench for Toronto and scored his first goal of the season in stoppage time to seal the win.
- 23' – TOR – Jozy Altidore (PK) | WATCH
- 45' – TOR – Jozy Altidore | WATCH
- 82' – RSL – Corey Baird | WATCH
- 92' – TOR – Tosaint Ricketts | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Toronto needed a win in league play, and got it, and they looked good overall on the night. Greg Vanney heavily rotated his lineup, especially in defense, and the cohesion remained. For RSL, the loss and lackluster performance are concerning, even against as strong a side as Toronto, but Rimando's PK save and Baird's debut goal were items to build upon for Mike Petke.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Everyone wondered if Rimando would be able to pull out two penalty saves in a matter of minutes, but Altidore's conversion from the spot opened the scoring and rewarded TFC's dominance.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Altidore scored the goals in the win for TFC, but his poise in scoring the penalty and the opportunism to convert the second in the run of play later in the first half makes him fully deserving of the honor.
- TOR: CCL - Tuesday, April 3 vs. Club América (8 pm ET | go90.com)
- RSL: Saturday, April 7 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (9:30 pm ET | MLS Live - Full TV & Streaming Info)