Tim Howard in Everton vs. West Ham
Action Images

Everton's Roberto Martinez says Colorado Rapids haven't made bid for Tim Howard

It seems that Colorado’s rumored interest in Tim Howard hasn’t led to a concrete offer, with Everton manager Roberto Martinez saying on Sunday that he hasn’t received any inquiries from the Rapids about the US national team goalkeeper.

“No at the moment there is nothing,” Martinez told the Liverpool Echo after Everton’s 2-1 loss to Swansea City on Sunday. “There is nothing to comment on.”

ESPN FC’s Jeff Carlisle reported last week that the Rapids are attempting to sign Howard after being rebuffed in their bid to acquire US international midfielder Alejandro Bedoya from FC Nantes. Reports surfaced earlier on Monday that Howard and the Rapids were closing in on a deal for the veteran 'keeper to join Colorado this summer. 

The Rapids hold the No. 1 spot in MLS’ allocation ranking, giving them first priority to acquire Howard, Bedoya, or any other player on the league’s allocation list.

A US Soccer icon, Howard has been with Everton since 2006, making over 400 appearances in all competitions for the club. The 36-year-old has had his share of struggles this season, however, with some Everton fans calling for Martinez to bench Howard in favor of his understudy Joel Robles.

Colorado currently have two goalkeepers on their roster in Zac MacMath and John Berner. They traded former starter Clint Irwin to Toronto last week in exchange for targeted allocation money and draft picks.

In addition to their reported interest in Howard and Bedoya, the Rapids have also been linked to 24-year-old Mexican international forward Alan Pulido this offseason.