GUADALAJARA, Mexico – Erick “Cubo” Torres turned up at a Chivas de Guadalara training session Tuesday morning, but it doesn’t mean his future has been decided just yet.
According to Chivas head coach José Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre, Torres asked if he could train with the club before he joins Mexico’s Under-21 squad in Mexico City on Sunday ahead of the Central American and Caribbean Games, which start Nov. 14 in Veracruz.
Torres has not played a competitive match since Chivas USA's regular season finale on Oct. 26, the final game of a season that saw him score a team-high 15 goals.
“He doesn’t want to lose rhythm and asked if he could train,” De la Torre said in a press conference on Tuesday. “This is his home, and the doors are open for him.”
De la Torre also made it clear, however, that “nothing is defined” regarding Torres’ future and emphasized that Major League Soccer retains a buy-out option following his loan spell with Chivas USA.
“He’ll be Chivas’ (player) as long as MLS doesn’t take up the option,” stated De la Torre, who emphasized that nothing has been decided as to which players will be coming and going in the offseason.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber said last month that the league is working to sign Torres to a long-term contract that will keep him in MLS.
Torres netted 22 goals in 44 career appearances for Chivas USA and was named to the MLS All-Star Game roster this summer. His form in MLS earned him his first Mexico national team call-up in September, and he scored his maiden goal for El Tri last month in their 1-0 victory over Panama.
Chivas president Néstor de la Torre has stated more than once in the Mexican press that he would like Torres to return to Guadalajara, but admitted that the decision is out of the club’s hands.
The storied Liga MX outfit is currently struggling in the league and immersed in a relegation battle, with goal scoring one of their biggest problems.