Fanendi Adi has wasted no time in his transition to MLS, and now he's got some hardware to prove it.
Adi scored twice for the Portland Timbers in their 3-1 road win over Real Salt Lake on Saturday to earn the Week 14 MLS Player of the Week award.
The performance, which gave the Nigerian forward four goals in his last three games, helped the Timbers break an 11-game winless streak against RSL in all competitions, dating back to 2011. Adi edged New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles – who delivered a standout performance in goal in a surprise 2-0 win at the New England Revolution – for the honors. (See how the NASR members voted here.)
The Timbers won for the third time in their last four games, and Adi set the tone for the triumph at Rio Tio Stadium. He first scored on a header in the 36th minute to cancel out Luke Mulholland's opener, then rifled home a rebound for the game's winner just before halftime.
2014 MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Week 14: Fanendo Adi (Portland Timbers)
- Week 13: Deshorn Brown (Colorado Rapids)
- Week 12: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
- Week 11: Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew)
- Week 10: Harry Shipp (Chicago Fire)
- Week 9: Joao Plata (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 8: Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
- Week 7: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 6: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 5: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 4: Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- Week 3: Bernardo Añor (Columbus Crew)
- Week 2: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)
- Week 1: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)