Can anyone break away in the maddest dash to the playoffs in MLS history?
Five teams were in position to clinch spots in the MLS Cup playoffs on Wednesday, yet not a single one got the job done. But that means 16 teams are still in contention heading into the weekend. By Sunday night, the playoff picture will become clearer.
Wednesday's results, however, mean only two teams are in position to join New York with guaranteed playoff spots.
Despite getting blown out by Vancouver on Wednesday, Seattle can still get there with a win at Portland on Sunday (9 pm ET, ESPN). Sporting KC, meanwhile, who pulled a draw out of Houston in midweek but didn't get all three magic points to clinch, can get in depending on two Eastern Conference results.
On the other end, Vancouver may have saved their bacon with that big win over the Sounders, but Columbus and FC Dallas are still in the cusp of seeing their hopes officially dashed by Monday morning.
Here are the playoff scenarios heading into this weekend's slate...
Sporting Kansas City will clinch a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs IF
- Chicago Fire tie or lose vs. FC Dallas on Saturday OR
- Philadelphia Union tie or lose vs. D.C. United on Saturday
Seattle Sounders FC will clinch a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs IF
- Seattle Sounders FC win vs. Portland Timbers on Sunday
Columbus Crew will be eliminated from playoff contention IF
- Montreal Impact win vs. New England Revolution on Saturday AND
- Philadelphia Union win vs. D.C. United on Saturday
FC Dallas will be eliminated from playoff contention IF
- FC Dallas lose or tie vs. Chicago Fire on Saturday