Fire pushed to limit, beat Revolution

The Chicago Fire scored twice in extra time to defeat the New England Revolution 3-2 in a rousing fourth-round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup encounter before a sellout crowd at Lusitano Stadium on Wednesday night.

Andy Herron scored twice, including the 99th-minute match-winner, while Shalrie Joseph's 26th-minute equalizer was followed by a 120th-minute free kick strike from Andy Dorman. C.J. Brown also scored for Chicago.

Chicago fielded most of their starters, while New England played a mixture of first team and reserves. The difference showed as the match progressed, as the Fire slowly asserted using their match fitness, while the Revolution failed to get themselves back into the match after allowing two goals in four minutes in the first half of extra time.

Chicago opened the scoring through Andy Herron in the 18th minute. Ivan Guerrero was given far too much space wide left. His ball to the far post found the unmarked Herron. Goalkeeper Doug Warren, spelling Matt Reis for his first appearance for the year, was left helpless as Herron thundered a right-footed volley from 12 yards.

Shalrie Joseph was allowed to roam in the midfield, getting forward in order to put pressure on the Chicago backline. Surging forward, he created havoc in the box, forcing a corner. Jose Cancela's service from the corner was on to Joseph's head at the far post and his header past Zach Thornton tied the match after 22 minutes.

Chris Rolfe should have done better in the 24th minute, but his header from a Samuel Caballero cross was just over the bar.

Revolution defender Jay Heaps presented Herron with a breakaway after losing the ball at midfield on 26 minutes. Avery John raced in to save Heaps, but the central defender then fouled Rolfe just outside the box. The resulting free kick was directed at the wall by Thiago.

Twellman then should have put the Revs on top after 40 minutes. After a Heaps header from a Cancela corner was well saved by Thornton, the rebound found Twellman in a cluster six yards out, but his poked effort was again saved by the Fire 'keeper.

The Fire gained control midway through the second half before faltering in the latter stages of the same stanza. First Rolfe hit the right hand post with a vicious strike in the 61st minute, while Herron went close after wriggling free after 66 minutes.

Heaps then rescued the tie for the Revs in the 71st minute, as Rolfe had a goalbound effort denied by a Heaps header off his goal line.

After the save, the Revolution awakened. Andy Dorman missed just wide in the 78th minute from a Luke Vercollone chip, and Avery John embarked on an enterprising offensive foray before being hacked down by Caballero.

Extra time beckoned after 90 minutes with the match shaded slightly to the visitors' favor, and it was the Fire who made the critical first strike of the extra period.

Off a corner gifted from a lax pass from Gilberto Flores, Brown gave the Fire the lead for good in the 96th minute. Jesse Marsch's corner glanced off Will John before finding the feet of Brown. He made no mistake from close range to restore the Fire lead.

Herron sealed the deal with his second goal of the evening four minutes later. Larentowicz nodded weakly back towards Warren, but Herron nipped in to pick off the header and finished calmly past Warren to double the Fire lead.

A pair of red cards from ill-advised tackles blighted the overtime. Marsch drew his second yellow in the 102nd minute with a crunching tackle against Cancela on the far sideline. Heaps would follow in the 109th minute with a cynical, two-footed challenge on Justin Mapp that earned him a second yellow.

Dorman scored a late consolation goal from 28 yards with a well-struck drive along the ground in the 120th minute, but it was too late to save the match for the Revs.

Kyle McCarthy is a contributor to This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round
August 3, 2005 - Lusitano Stadium, Ludlow, Mass.

Chicago Fire 3, New England Revolution 2 (aet)

CHI -- Andy Herron (Ivan Guerrero) 18
NE -- Shalrie Joseph (Jose Cancela) 22
CHI -- C.J. Brown (Will John) 96
CHI -- Andy Herron (unassisted) 99
NE -- Andy Dorman (unassisted) 120

Chicago Fire (4-4-2) -- Zach Thornton, Ivan Guerrero, Jim Curtin (Will John 69), C.J. Brown, Samuel Caballero, Justin Mapp, Jesse Marsch, Thiago (Scott Buete 57), Logan Pause, Chris Rolfe (Chad Barrett 80), Andy Herron (Will Johnson 105).

New England Revolution (3-5-2) -- Doug Warren, Avery John, Jay Heaps, James Riley, Joe Franchino (Luke Vercollone 59), Jose Cancela, Shalrie Joseph (Jeff Larentowicz 45), Gilberto Flores, Ryan Latham (Andy Dorman 45), Connally Edozien, Taylor Twellman (Khano Smith 45).

NE -- Jay Heaps (caution) 27
NE -- Ryan Latham (caution) 30
CHI -- Jesse Marsch (caution) 59
NE -- Khano Smith (caution) 71
CHI -- Samuel Caballero (caution) 74
CHI -- Jesse Marsch (ejection; second caution) 102
NE -- Jay Heaps (ejection; second caution) 108

Stay connected: Get access to breaking news, videos, and analysis from North America's best soccer reporters via "This Week in MLS" newsletter or using our FREE mobile app.