Toronto FC beat the Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 in their second of two back-to-back games at BMO Field.
Toronto came out strong, eager to prove that they could put together another strong performance with just two days in between games. In the 15th minute, Pablo Piatti took a shot that deflected off of Alejandro Pozuelo and went straight to the feet of Richie Laryea at the top of the 18. Laryea blasted it past Vancouver goalkeeper Thomas Hasal to put the Toronto up 1-0. It marked Pozuelo's seventh assist of the season in as many games.
Vancouver struggled to get their offense going throughout the first half and while they were able to get more going in the beginning of the second half, they ultimately couldn't do enough to get on the scoreboard. Toronto FC goalkeeper Quentin Westberg earned his third clean sheet of the season.
- 15' - TOR - Richie Laryea | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The three Canadian teams (Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact) will play each other twice each for the six games in the first phase of the regular season restart. The club that earns the most points during these matches will qualify for the 2020 Canadian Championship, so sealing back-to-back wins gives Toronto a major early edge.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The only goal of the game came early from Toronto's Richie Laryea.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Toronto FC had several players worthy of the Man of the Match award, but with an assist, two shots on goal of his own and consistently solid play throughout the night, it has to go to Alejandro Pozuelo.
- TOR: Friday, August 28 @ Montreal Impact (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US; TSN 1/4, TVA Sports in Canada )
- VAN: Tuesday, August 25 @ Montreal Impact (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US; TSN 1/4, TVA Sports in Canada)