UPDATE (Feb, 4, 3:52 pm ET): The Roger Martinez to Inter Miami rumors are back, this time with some interesting details regarding the player's agent supposedly holding up the potential deal.
According to FOX Deportes reporter Raoul Ortiz, Miami came to an agreement with Martinez's current team, Liga MX side Club America, a month ago on a deal that would bring the Colombian forward to MLS. But according to Ortiz, Martinez's agent, Fernando Beto Lopez, wouldn't sign off because he wasn't satisfied with the compensation he would receive from the sale.
Ortiz also said that Club America had received loan offers from European clubs for Martinez, but turned them down. For the moment, Martinez remains in Liga MX.
The agent for the Club America and Colombia men’s national team forward has said “Roger will stay at America,” according to a report from Mexican outlet Periodico am Noticias.
No shortage of high-priced attackers have been linked to Inter Miami as they approach their inaugural MLS season in 2020. The likes of Rogelio Funes Mori, Edison Cavani and Pedro have all surfaced as possible signings in recent weeks.
Just under a month out from their opener March 1 at LAFC, Inter Miami’s front line is currently led by Juan Agudelo, Julian Carranza and Jerome Kiesewetter. They recently added Scotland international winger Lewis Morgan from Celtic, plus took Clemson forward Robbie Robinson with the No. 1 overall SuperDraft pick.
Ten days ago, managing owner Jorge Mas added speculation regarding roster additions.
“We still have two Designated Player positions to fill," he said. "We are still building the team. You will see five or six players incorporated into the team in the coming weeks. We are less interested in the name of these players, but more so in their character.”
Martinez, 25, was linked to Inter Miami early last month regarding a reported $15 million move away from Liga MX. Aside from playing for Club America, he also featured prominently in Colombia’s Copa America squads in 2016 and 2019.