Didier Drogba may have resolved his issues with the Montreal Impact, but that doesn’t mean the Ivorian is back in training.
One day after the Impact announced that they’d patched things up with Drogba after he refused to be in the 18 for Montreal’s match against Toronto on Saturday, the 38-year-old Designated Player reportedly missed training on Wednesday in order to see a doctor about his back pain.
Drogba, who hasn't started since Sept. 24, was not in attendance at Sunday’s match against Toronto after being told on Saturday that he wouldn’t be in the starting lineup against Toronto. Impact owner Joey Saputo said in a statement on Tuesday that the issues between the club and their star striker had been resolved, and that Drogba “accepted to assume the role that the head coach sees fit” for the duration of Montreal’s season.
The Impact will play at New England in their regular season finale on Sunday before beginning the playoffs with a Knockout Round match next Wednesday or Thursday. It’s not clear how Drogba’s reported back injury will affect his availability for any of Montreal’s upcoming matches.