The New York Red Bulls have long been at the forefront of player development in the United States, both through their vaunted academy and a successful USL affiliate. Most of those players have contributed to the first team and some have moved on to play for other clubs via trade or transfer.
The team's signed 22 Homegrown Players through the years, starting with Giorgi Chirgadze in 2009 and carrying through 18-year-old John Tolkin in January 2020.
Although Chirgadze didn’t make an MLS appearance, more than a few on the list have made a major impact. Many continue to do so — both home and abroad, for club and country.
RBNY Homegrown players transferred overseas (2): Tyler Adams, Matt Miazga
The jewels of the Red Bulls’ Homegrown list – Tyler Adams and Matt Miazga – have made the transition to successful European careers. Both regularly feature for the US men’s national team.
Matt Miazga: 34 regular-season appearances before getting sold to Chelsea, currently on loan at Reading. 18 USMNT caps, one goal.
Tyler Adams: 52 regular-season appearances, two goals. Sold to RB Leipzig in German Bundesliga. 10 USMNT caps, one goal.
Traded (or loaned)
Three of the club's Homegrown players have been traded:
Current RBNY rostered players
There are the homegrown players currently on the 2020 roster: Sean Davis, Omir Fernandez, Ben Mines, John Tolkin
- Sean Davis: In fourth year as regular starter, became first Homegrown captain this season.
- Ben Mines: 46 appearances for RBNYII. Two MLS appearances, scored on debut.
- Omir Fernandez: Two goals, two assists in 21 first-team appearances
- John Tolkin: Moved to first-team roster in January 2020 after 13 appearances for RBNYII
Released (active or retired)
These homegrown players were released or not re-signed by the Red Bulls, but are still active today:
- Brandon Allen (Memphis 901 / USL Championship)
- Arun Basuljevic (Oklahoma City Energy / USL Championship)
- Mael Corboz (Go Ahead Eagles / Netherlands)
- Evan Louro (Tampa Bay Rowdies / USL Championship)
- Amando Moreno (New Mexico United / USL Championship)
- Kevin Politz (Hartford Athletic / USL Championship)
- Scott Thomsen (Richmond Kickers / USL League One)
- Chris Thorsheim (Nykobing FC / Denmark)
Santiago Castano was recently released by the New York Cosmos.
Giorgi Chirgadze, the first Homegrown player in club history, along with Sacir Hot and Matt Kassel, has since retired. Hot is the head coach of FC Motown in the NPSL, while Kassel has done broadcast work, including for Bethlehem Steel.
Connor Lade, who retired in October 2019 as the club’s all-time leader in Homegrown appearances (153), is the club's senior manager of alumni and player relations.
All-time Homegrown Player signings
Here's the full list of 22 all-time RBNY Homegrown signings, as sorted by the season for which they were originally signed:
- 2009 (1): Giorgi Chirgadze - F
- 2010 (1): Juan Agudelo - F
- 2011 (2): Sacir Hot - D; Matt Kassel - M
- 2012 (1): Connor Lade - D
- 2013 (3): Santiago Castano - GK; Matt Miazga - D; Amando Moreno - F
- 2015 (1): Sean Davis - M
- 2016 (7): Tyler Adams - M/D; Brandon Allen - F; Mael Corboz - M; Derrick Etienne Jr. - F; Alex Muyl - F; Scott Thomsen - D; Chris Thorsheim - D
- 2017 (2): Arun Basuljevic - M; Evan Louro - GK
- 2018 (2): Ben Mines - M/F; Kevin Politz - D
- 2019 (1): Omir Fernandez - M
- 2020 (1): John Tolkin - D