In a battle of teams facing a slew of absences, the Montreal Impact emerged 2-1 winners over the Seattle Sounders on Wednesday at Stade Saputo.
Both teams were shorthanded due to injuries and international absences. Montreal dressed just five players on their bench, while Seattle dressed six, with two subs being goalkeepers.
After a first half when shots were at a premium, with only two tallied, neither on target, the action slowly picked up in the second 45. The buildup in intensity culminated in a Seattle penalty in the 64th minute, scored by Victor Rodriguez, after former Impact midfielder Harry Shipp drew the foul from Victor Cabrera.
But Montreal got a penalty of their own and 10 minutes after the opening spot kick, Impact midfielder Saphir Taider scored his attempt to make it 1-1, after he drew the foul on Sounders defender Kelvin Leerdam.
Four minutes later, Taider scored his second of the night, as Omar Browne sent a pass to the far post that the Algerian turned in to take the lead. From there, the Sounders could not find an answer and Montreal held on for the win.
- 64' – SEA – Victor Rodriguez (PK) | WATCH
- 74' – MTL – Saphir Taider (PK) | WATCH
- 78' – MTL – Saphir Taider | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both sides are in a good spot in the standings, but they were eager for a win here before the Gold Cup break, even with the limited options on the night in the lineup. While Seattle found the breakthrough, their defense collapsed after taking the lead, and Montreal, who were coming off a rough home loss, found a vital win at Stade Saputo to bolster their Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs case.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After it was all even with the teams exchanging penalties, the set-up and finish on the winning goal was as impressive as it was vital.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: With Ignacio Piatti set to miss months more of the campaign due to injury, Taider continues to be the point man for the Impact, and he delivered, with a brace to secure three points.
- MTL: Wednesday, June 26 vs. Portland Timbers (7:30 pm ET | TV & streaming info)
- SEA: (U.S. Open Cup) - Wednesday, June 12 vs. Portland Timbers (10:30 pm ET | TV & streaming info)