The MLS SuperDraft selection order is determined as follows: The first selection is held by expansion team St. Louis CITY SC. The following 14 selections are from teams that did not qualify for the Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs beginning with the team with fewest 2022 regular season points per game (3 points per win, 1 point per tie). The remaining 14 positions are ranked by fewest regular season points per game among the teams that were eliminated in the same round of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
Procedural rules for the 2023 MLS SuperDraft
- Draft rounds: 2023 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas will include three rounds. Rounds 1, 2, and 3 shall be conducted on Dec. 21, 2022.
- Selection clock: Teams are permitted four (4) minutes to make a selection.
- Intermissions: There shall be a ten (10) minute break between Rounds.
- Timeouts: Each team is permitted one (1) timeout. Timeouts are three (3) minutes in duration. Selections must be made immediately following the timeout (no additional time given). More than two (2) timeouts cannot be used consecutively.
- Failure to make selection in designated time: Clubs that fail to make their selection in time must wait until the next selection is made, regardless if their choice is presented prior to the next club's decision. The team that was delinquent with its selection must immediately have its choice in hand following the selection of the club that followed. If not, the original club must again wait for the next selection to be made.
- Trades: Prior to being announced, trades need to be verified and approved by the Commissioner and/or his designee. Trade announcements will not reveal the identity of players until those players have been contacted by their respective clubs. For example, Team A trades a "player to be named later" for Team B's first selection.
- Team passing: In the event a team passes, it shall be precluded from making any further picks for the remainder of MLS SuperDraft.