Portland's Darlington Nagbe will "definitely" play again for the US national team despite turning down a call-up in October and being left off the roster for the side's first two Hexagonal matches in World Cup qualifying, US coach Jurgen Klinsmann told fans during a weekend live Facebook chat.
Nagbe declined the October call-up for personal reasons, citing a desire to spend time with family. Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl, citing unnamed sources within US Soccer and the Timbers organization, reported later in the month that Nagbe did not feel valued by Klinsmann and might not play again with the Yanks. That speculation seemed confirmed when Nagbe was left home for the American's 2-1 home loss to Mexico on Nov. 11 and last Tuesday's demoralizing 4-0 away loss to Costa Rica.
But on Sunday, Klinsmann said Nagbe, who was born in Liberia and has one goal in 10 caps since becoming a naturalized citizen last year, would suit up for the US again at some point.
"There are some statements out there that just are simply not true," he said. "Darlington is always in our picture. We observe him. We watch him. He didn't make it into the October games for personal reasons and we accepted that, but then for the two games against Costa Rica and Mexico, we just thought that other players were ahead of him.
"But you will definitely see Darlington come back into our group and prove a point that he belongs there."