With Major League Soccer's history growing, a generation of former players are continuing their involvement in the game via MLS academies.
Several ex-players were in attendance at the recent Generation adidas Cup in Texas, coaching some of the MLS players of tomorrow.
Here is a list of some former MLS names who were active at the GA Cup this year:
- Troy Perkins (Seattle Sounders academy goalkeeper coach): Played 2004-10 with D.C. United, 2011-12 for Portland Timbers, 2012-14 at Montreal Impact, and 2015 with the Seattle Sounders. Perkins totaled 223 appearances in his MLS career.
- Gonzalo Segares (Chicago Fire academy assistant coach): Played 2005-10 and 2010-14 with Chicago Fire, making 244 MLS appearances in total.
- Luchi Gonzalez (FC Dallas academy director and U-16 head coach): Drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes in 2002 and played 2005-06 with the Colorado Rapids.
- Martin Vasquez (RSL-AZ academy director): Played with the Tampa Bay Mutiny 1996-97 and then the San Jose Clash in 1998.
- Danny Dichio (Toronto FC U19/U16 Coach): Dichio played 2007-09 with TFC and famously scored the first goal in the club’s history.
- Mike Munoz (LA Galaxy U-16 head coach): With Chivas USA in 2005-06 and spent 2008 with the LA Galaxy.
- Ryan Miller (Portland Timbers U-16 and U-18 assistant coach): As a player Miller spent part of 2008 with Columbus Crew SC, 2008-09 with DC United, and 2013 with the Timbers.
- Sean Henderson (Seattle Sounders academy assistant coach): Played for the Colorado Rapids from 1996-98.