Justin Meram scored his first goal since returning to Columbus to lead Crew SC to a 2-1 win over New York City FC Saturday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
Crew SC struck twice in a three-minute span to take all three points with Harrison Afful leveling in the 61st minute. The fullback followed his initial shot, which was blocked by Alex Ring, and beat a screened Sean Johnson from distance.
Two minutes later, Meram put Columbus (12-8-7) in front, leaping over Sebastien Ibeagha to latch onto a far-post corner kick and score what proved to be the winner.
NYCFC (14-7-6) took the lead in the 53rd minute on Ismael Tajouri-Shradi’s 11th goal of the season. Maxi Moralez picked up the ball in the defensive third and carried through midfield, slipping to Anton Tinnerholm on his right. The fullback ran at Lalas Abubakar and the ball deflected out to Tajouri-Shradi, who fired inside the far post.
- 53’ — NYC — Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- 61’ — CLB — Harrison Afful | WATCH
- 63’ — CLB — Justin Meram | WATCH
MOMENT OF THE MATCH
: What a great hit by Harrison Afful, who curled in the equalizer eight minutes after Columbus conceded first.
- CLB: Saturday, Sept. 15 at FC Dallas (8 pm ET | TV & Streaming info)
- NYC: Wednesday, Sept. 5 vs. New England Revolution (7 pm ET | TV & Streaming info)