Philadelphia Union head coach Jim Curtin was awarded the MLS Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year after guiding the Philadelphia Union to their first-ever trophy, the 2020 Supporters' Shield.
It is the first Coach of the Year honor for a manager who, by cultivating talent through the club’s fertile academy and shrewd signings, has built the club up to become a legitimate MLS Cup contender this year.
Under Curtin’s leadership, the Union have consistently increased their winning percentage each season, an upward trajectory that culminated in 2020 with the best mark in club history (0.717 winning percentage).
A former MLS All-Star central defender who became the fifth MLS player all-time to win Supporters’ Shield as both a player and a head coach, Curtin began his coaching career with the Union academy in 2010. He became a Union assistant coach in 2012 before taking over as head coach in 2014. He finished third in the Coach of the Year voting a year ago.
Curtin led Philadelphia to consecutive U.S. Open Cup final appearances in 2014 and 2015 and the club’s first home playoff victory a year ago. Under Curtin, the Union have a clear playing style and he’s not shied away from giving academy graduates valuable minutes at a young age. That includes midfielder Brenden Aaronson, who became the club’s first academy product transferred aboard and the Union’s first outgoing European transfer when he signed a deal with FC Red Bull Salzburg last month.
Curtin received 43.68 percent of the overall vote by MLS club technical staff, media, and current MLS players. In his first season in charge of Orlando City SC, Oscar Pareja was second with 24.02 percent.
Below is a breakdown of the voting results.
|Jim Curtin (PHI)||33.38%||53.15%||44.49%||43.68%|
|Oscar Pareja (ORL)||20.73%||18.92%||32.42%||24.02%|
|Greg Vanney (TOR)||4.57%||5.41%||4.24%||4.74%|
|Giovanni Savarese (POR)||4.27%||5.41%||3.81%||4.50%|
|Caleb Porter (CLB)||5.64%||2.70%||2.33%||3.56%|
|Peter Vermes (SKC)||3.66%||3.60%||2.75%||3.34%|
|Gary Smith (NSH)||2.29%||3.60%||4.03%||3.31%|
MLS Coach of the Year Winners
- 2020: Jim Curtin – Philadelphia Union
- 2019: Bob Bradley – Los Angeles Football Club
- 2018: Gerardo “Tata” Martino – Atlanta United
- 2017: Greg Vanney – Toronto FC
- 2016: Oscar Pareja – FC Dallas
- 2015: Jesse Marsch – New York Red Bulls
- 2014: Ben Olsen – D.C. United
- 2013: Caleb Porter – Portland Timbers
- 2012: Frank Yallop – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2011: Bruce Arena – LA Galaxy
- 2010: Schellas Hyndman – FC Dallas
- 2009: Bruce Arena – LA Galaxy
- 2008: Sigi Schmid – Columbus Crew SC
- 2007: Preki – Chivas USA
- 2006: Bob Bradley – Chivas USA
- 2005: Dominic Kinnear – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2004: Greg Andrulis – Columbus Crew SC
- 2003: Dave Sarachan – Chicago Fire
- 2002: Steve Nicol – New England Revolution
- 2001: Frank Yallop – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2000: Bob Gansler – Kansas City Wizards
- 1999: Sigi Schmid – LA Galaxy
- 1998: Bob Bradley – Chicago Fire
- 1997: Bruce Arena – D.C. United
- 1996: Thomas Rongen – Tampa Bay Mutiny