Philadelphia Union goalkeeper Andre Blake has been named the 2020 Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year, it was announced Monday, giving the Jamaica national team captain the second such award of his career (2016). He's now in a five-way tie for the most in MLS alongside those like Donovan Ricketts and Zach Thornton.
Blake helped the Union capture the 2020 Supporters’ Shield, the first trophy in club history, while backstopping the stingiest defense in MLS (20 goals against). On the personal front, the 29-year-old also earned the MLS is Back Tournament Golden Glove presented by Allstate this past summer. Blake is one of five finalists for the 2020 Landon Donovan MLS MVP award, too, the first time a goalkeeper has been named a finalist for the award since Joe Cannon in 2004.
During the regular season, Blake posted a 0.778 save percentage and 0.88 goals allowed average, both league best for goalkeepers with 20 or more appearances on the year. He also led MLS goalkeeper with 13 wins, a total that likely would’ve been higher had he not missed Philadelphia’s last two regular season games with a hand fracture.
Some bright spots from 2020 for Blake are his diving save in a 2-1 victory over the New England Revolution on Oct. 19. It’s a finalist for the 2020 MLS Save of the Year presented by Allstate. He also had eight stops in a 3-3 draw at LAFC on March 8, tying the season-high saves total for a goalkeeper.
Blake has been with the Union since 2014, when he was the No. 1 overall pick in that year's MLS SuperDraft. A Generation adidas signing, he truly took over the starting role in 2016 and hasn't looked back since. He's also made 45 appearances for Jamaica.
The Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results, which had the New England Revolution's Matt Turner as the closest challenger.
|Andre Blake (PHI)||33.02%||49.12%||50.21%||44.12%|
|Matt Turner (NE)||8.49%||11.40%||16.74%||12.21%|
|Eloy Room (CLB)||10.03%||6.14%||6.14%||7.44%|
|Pedro Gallese (ORL)||8.49%||7.02%||5.08%||6.86%|
|Stefan Frei (SEA)||4.78%||7.89%||5.30%||5.99%|
|Sean Johnson (NYC)||4.32%||7.02%||5.72%||5.69%|
MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Winners
- 2020: Andre Blake (2) – Philadelphia Union
- 2019: Vito Mannone – Minnesota United FC
- 2018: Zack Steffen – Columbus Crew SC
- 2017: Tim Melia – Sporting Kansas City
- 2016: Andre Blake – Philadelphia Union
- 2015: Luis Robles – New York Red Bulls
- 2014: Bill Hamid – D.C. United
- 2013: Donovan Ricketts (2) – Portland Timbers
- 2012: Jimmy Nielsen – Sporting Kansas City
- 2011: Kasey Keller – Seattle Sounders FC
- 2010: Donovan Ricketts – LA Galaxy
- 2009: Zach Thornton (2) – Chivas USA
- 2008: Jon Busch – Chicago Fire
- 2007: Brad Guzan – Chivas USA
- 2006: Troy Perkins – D.C. United
- 2005: Pat Onstad (2) – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2004: Joe Cannon (2) – Colorado Rapids
- 2003: Pat Onstad – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2002: Joe Cannon – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2001: Tim Howard – MetroStars
- 2000: Tony Meola – Kansas City Wizards
- 1999: Kevin Hartman – LA Galaxy
- 1998: Zach Thornton – Chicago Fire
- 1997: Brad Friedel – Columbus Crew SC
- 1996: Mark Dodd – Dallas Burn