The New England Revolution options at defensive midfielder will be tested this summer, with head coach/sporting director Bruce Arena revealing during a 98.5 The SportsHub interview Monday that Luis Caicedo will be out for the year after undergoing surgery.
The procedure was to repair Caicedo's meniscus in his right knee, the club said later in a statement. He had the procedure in early March and has been placed on the season-ending injury list, with an anticipated recovery period of nine months.
Caicedo, acquired by New England ahead of the 2018 season, has made 61 appearances (56) starts with one goal and four assists since coming to the league. He didn’t feature in either of New England’s first two matches of the 2020 season, and was permanently acquired in 2018 after initially arriving on loan from Cortulua in his native Colombia.
Arena said that Luis Caicedo is out for the year after undergoing surgery #NERevs— Seth (@SethMan31) June 8, 2020
Aside from Caicedo, New England boasts 2018 MLS All-Star Wilfried Zahibo and veteran Scott Caldwell as natural options. Kelyn Rowe and Diego Fagundez have both also played there, and there's also the transfer market. Caicedo occupies an international spot, and there are several Homegrown Players who could also be part of a midfield configuration.
Before the COVID-19 pandemic caused MLS games to be suspended, the Revs were 0-1-1. Last year’s trip to the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, which coincided with Arena and forward Gustavo Bou’s arrival, ended a three-year postseason absence.