For the first time in nearly a decade, the Chara brothers will play together.
On Thursday the Portland Timbers signed Yimmi Chara, Diego's younger brother, uniting the pair who last played together from 2010-11 with Deportes Tolima in Colombia. The Designated Player comes to the club with big expectations, a big smile and a ton of potential for wholesome brotherly content with Diego.
The Charas will join the list of brothers to play together in MLS, too.
The latest family members to feature for the same team are Cristian and Alex Roldan for the Seattle Sounders, who were rostered together for the last two years, though the club declined Alex's contract option this offseason. Chris and Sean Henderson were the first brothers to suit up for the same team when they were with the Colorado Rapids from 1996-98. Chris is currently VP of soccer operations & sporting director for the Sounders.
Perhaps the brothers with the biggest star power together at the time, Gio and Jona dos Santos were both Designated Players for the LA Galaxy from 2017-18. Alexi and Greg Lalas (MLS media's very own!) were both with the New England Revolution in 1997.
Below is the full list:
Brothers as teammates in MLS history
- Chris and Sean Henderson: Colorado Rapids 1996-98
- Alexi and Greg Lalas: New England Revolution 1997
- Judah and Micah Cooks: D.C. United 2000-01
- DaMarcus and Jamar Beasley: Chicago Fire 2001
- Martin and Fausto Klinger: MetroStars 2001
- Daouda and Ibrahim Kante: New England Revolution 2003
- Brian and Jeff Carroll: D.C. United 2006-07
- Jim and Jeff Curtin: Chicago Fire 2007
- Chris and Stephen Wondolowski: Houston Dynamo 2008
- Gabriel and Michael Farfan: Philadelphia Union 2011-12
- Bradley and Shaun Wright-Phillips: New York Red Bulls 2015
- Giovani and Jonathan dos Santos: LA Galaxy 2017-18
- David and Mathieu Choniere: Montreal Impact 2018
- Cristian and Alex Roldan: Seattle Sounders 2018-19
- Diego and Yimmi Chara: Portland Timbers 2020-
- Gabriel and Nicholas Slonina: Chicago Fire 2020-