Przemyslaw Frankowski and Nemanja Nikolic also scored for the Fire, who are still clinging to their Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff hopes after beginning the weekend five points beneath the playoff line. Sapong and Nikolic now both sit on 12 goals for the season.
After entering the game having scored 11 goals during a three-match unbeaten run, FC Dallas were shut out with a result that would see them slide back beneath the playoff line if the LA Galaxy win or draw against Sporting Kansas City on Sunday.
- 7' - CHI - CJ Sapong | WATCH
- 16' - CHI - Przemyslaw Frankowski | WATCH
- 29' - CHI - CJ Sapong | WATCH
- 39' - CHI - Nemanja Nikolic | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Fire did their part to prolong their postseason hopes, but will certainly be watching other games later tonight in hopes of some help. A perfect finish to their season would see the Fire finish on 46 points, with the New England Revolution (the current No. 7 seed) on pace to hit almost exactly that number. Meanwhile, Dallas travel to Seattle in a midweek Western Conference six-pointer, but will play their last two against teams currently beneath them in the West standings.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: While the Fire still had to finish their chances, their first-half outburst was as much about Dallas' awful defending as their own attacking prowess. That was true from the very start, when Sapong punished Dallas for the the collective error of Reggie Cannon, Matt Hedges and Jesse Gonzalez.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: CJ Sapong. The 30-year-old veteran is four goals from matching the 16 he scored two seasons ago in Philadelphia. It's not as though Dallas made his brace particularly difficult, but he was also inches from his second career MLS hat trick when he struck the woodwork after the break.