The latest installment of the Texas Derby was all FC Dallas and El Capitan is staying put. Dallas got the better of in-state rival Houston Dynamo 5-1, behind a brace from Zdenek Ondrasek and goals from Reto Ziegler, Jesus Ferreira and Michael Barrios.
In just his second start of the season, Ondrasek delivered. His brace were goals number two and three this season for the man nicknamed Cobra, a pair of one-touch finishes from six yards out in the second half to seal the result.
Dallas opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 24th minute and didn't look back. After Jose Bizama pulled down Dom Badji in the box, Ziegler stepped up and smashed the spot kick into the back of the net.
A few minutes later, Ferreira's dazzling solo run culminated with a cool finish from the 18-year-old. Ferreira picked up the ball midfield, dribbled directly towards the Dynamo goal and slalomed through Houston defenders en route to his seventh goal of the season.
Memo Rodriguez added a consolation goal in the 80th minute, before Barrios restored Dallas' four-goal lead deep into stoppage time.
- 24' – DAL – Reto Ziegler (PK) | WATCH
- 29' – DAL – Jesus Ferreira | WATCH
- 56' – DAL – Zdenek Ondrasek | WATCH
- 64' – DAL – Zdenek Ondrasek | WATCH
- 80' – HOU – Memo Rodriguez | WATCH
- 90+6' – DAL – Michael Barrios | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Dallas have climbed back over the playoff line as Week 25 ends, though the Portland Timbers still have two games in hand. It's going to be one fun end to the season in the Western Conference, as second through eighth place are separated by just six points.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Ferreira's goal is one for the highlight reel.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Playing again as a No. 10, Jesus Ferreira's imprint was all over the match, typified by his goal, which ended up as the game-winner. He also had a second goal ruled back by VAR.