Eric Remedi stabbed in Julian Gressell's cross eight minutes before halftime, then served up the ball thad helped create a late second goal as Atlanta United advanced to their first ever U.S. Open Cup Final with a 2-0 semfinal victory over Orlando City at Exploria Stadium on Tuesday night.
Atlanta will host the final on August 27 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, welcoming the winner of Wednesday night's semifinal between Minnesota United and the Portland Timbers at Allianz Field (8 pm ET | ESPN+).
Emerson Hyndman also scored his first-ever goal in any competition for Atlanta since his summer arrival, helping his team improve its all-time record to 6-0-2 in eight matches in all competitions against their Southeastern rivals.
Dom Dwyer and Sacha Kljestan both missed quality first-half chances for Orlando, which was hoping to play for its first trophy in its fifth year. Both were removed by coach James O'Connor in a 58th-minute double substitution.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Bad just goes to worse for the Lions in this fixture, no matter the setting and no matter the competition. In a midweek tilt at home with Atlanta's record-breaking goal scorer unavailable, Orlando fans must've surely thought this was their club's best chance to finally get their first win in what has so far been a one-way rivalry. It wasn't.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Hyndman has quickly earned De Boer's trust since his arrival on loan from English Premier League side Bournemouth. It was repaid in full with his well-taken goal, his first as a professional on American soil.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Eric Remedi. Far from the most flamboyant South American on his side, the midfielder nevertheless has a knack for the knockout rounds. His goal was only his second in an Atlanta shirt in any competition. The first? The only tally in a 1-0 victory over New York City FC in Leg 1 of last year's Eastern Conference semifinal.
- ORL: Saturday, August 10 at Toronto FC (7:30 pm ET | TSN4, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US)
- ATL: Sunday, August 11 vs. New York City FC (4 pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)