D.C. United overcame an early Colorado Rapids goal by scoring three in an eight minute span just before the half and then held on for a 3-2 road win Saturday night at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Benny Feilhaber put the home side up after 11 minutes when he finished at the far post off a corner kick. The lead lasted 25 minutes, and then the wheels fell off.
Luciano Acosta roofed United's first goal and homegrown midfielder Chris Durkin - making his first start of the year - put United ahead minutes later when he ripped a shot past Tim Howard for his first career goal. Lucas Rodriguez then slalomed through Colorado's defense to put United up 3-1 at the break.
The Rapids made a game of it in the second when Kei Kamara got one back, but in the end D.C. held on for the road win, leaving Colorado winless through the first seven games of the season.
- 11' – COL – Benny Feilhaber (Paul Arriola) | WATCH
- 35' – DC – Luciano Acosta | WATCH
- 38' – DC – Chris Durkin | WATCH
- 43' – DC – Lucas Rodriguez | WATCH
- 66' – COL – Kei Kamara | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: On paper D.C. were expected to win, and they did, now 2-0-1 on the road and knowing they'll be atop the East through the weekend. Colorado are winless through seven for the first time ever, and this was the third straight game - and fourth of the young season - in which they've surrendered three or more goals.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Acosta's goal got DC on the board, but Chris Durkin's turned out to be the hit that did Colorado in:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Save for that eight minute span, Colorado played a solid game. Still, hard to give the nod to the losing team, so the nod goes to Lucas Rodriguez for setting up Durkin and then his own fantastic finish.
- COL: Sat., April 20 at Chicago Fire (1 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US; DAZN in Canada)
- DC: Sun., April 21 vs. NYCFC (4 pm ET | ESPN; DAZN in Canada)