Sporting Kansas City vs. CF Monterrey - Game Highlights
Match Highlights: Sporting Kansas City 2-5 Rayados (Aggregate 2-10) Resumen Final: Sporting KC 2-5 Rayados (Marcador global 2-10) #SCCL2019 #SKCvMTYPosted by Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League on Thursday, April 11, 2019
Sporting Kansas City twice took the lead through Gerso early, but ultimately succumbed to a second defeat in as many weeks to Liga MX's CF Monterrey, this time falling 5-2 in Leg 2 of their Concacaf Champions League semifinal on Thursday night at Children's Mercy Park.
Rogelio Funes Mori scored a brace for Monterrey, which won the tie 10-2 on aggregate to eliminate SKC and reach their fourth CCL final, where they'll face derby rivals Tigres UANL.
Rodolfo Pizarro, Miguel Layun and Aviles Hurtado all added goals for Rayados, who scored thrice after halftime to turn what had been a ferocious encounter into another relatively straightforward victory.
- 6' - SKC - Gerso
- 20' - MON - Rogelio Funes Mori
- 29' - SKC - Gerso
- 39' - MON - Rodolfo Pizarro
- 61' - MON - Miguel Layun
- 82' - MON - Aviles Hurtado
- 90'+1' - MON - Rogelio Funes Mori
- THE BIG PICTURE: Any remaining chance of reversing the two-leg tie went out the window with Funes Mori's goal to level the score at 1-1, but the first half was still a performance to build on for Kansas City, which advanced the furthest in the 2019 CCL of any MLS entrant. The second half? Just one to move on from.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Even taking out the context, Gerso's opener off Johnny Russell's service was an exceptional goal. But coming so early in the match, it also gave the home fans who made the trek to Children's Mercy Park on a frigid April night what they wanted: a real moment of hope.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Rogelio Funes Mori probably could've had a hat trick with better finishing. As it was, while the 5-2 final flattered the visitors, the fifth goal gave the forward a deserved second.
- SKC: Sunday, April 14 vs. New York Red Bulls (7 pm ET | FS1, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)