Canada got their Concacaf Nations League qualifying campaign off to a suitably strong start on Sunday, routing an overmatched U.S. Virgin Islands side 8-0 in a home qualifier hosted by the small island territory at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.
If Les Rouges' de facto 2-5-3 formation didn't make clear what a one-sided matchup this would be, the visitors' five-goal first half drove the point home. Toronto FC's Jonathan Osorio headed home the opener just six minutes in to cue a steady stream of goals, with Lucas Cavallini and Jonathan David each bagging a brace before intermission.
Junior Hoilett resumed the scoring with a tap-in five minutes into the second stanza before Orlando City ex Cyle Larin came off the bench to notch his own double, both arriving via inviting left-sided service from Alphonso Davies.
The Vancouver Whitecaps' teenage phenom hit the deck grimacing in the latter stages, but his discomfort appeared to be a mild case of leg cramping and he finished the 90 minutes.
- 6’ – CAN – Jonathan Osorio
- 8' – CAN – Lucas Cavallini
- 32' – CAN – Jonathan David
- 37' – CAN – Jonathan David
- 44' – CAN – Lucas Cavallini
- 50' – CAN – Junior Hoilett
- 60' – CAN – Cyle Larin
- 80' – CAN – Cyle Larin
- THE BIG PICTURE: Goliath dispatched David with a minimum of fuss here, with John Herdman's CanMNT side handling their business professionally. They'll hope for similar results in all four of their CNL qualifiers, and this confidence-building, goal differential-padding victory sets the tone.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Speaking of David... Jonathan David's second strike can be considered the backbreaker, as the talented teenager pushed the scoreline to 4-0 well before halftime, killing off any USVI dreams of keeping it close:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: David deserves these honors for scoring twice and chalking up an assist on his CanMNT debut. As if Davies' rise wasn't exciting enough, the Belgium-based 18-year-old gives Herdman and Canada fans another reason to be bullish on the future.
- USVI: Friday, Oct. 12 vs. Curacao (4 pm ET | oz.com/concacafnationsleague)
- CAN: Tuesday, Oct. 16 vs. Dominica (7 pm ET | oz.com/concacafnationsleague)