A screaming one-time golazo from midfielder Aleksandar Katai put Chicago up in the 30th minute. Holding on to the lead in its 5-3-2 formation, the Fire found another goal after goalkeeper Luis Robles committed a foul on Katai. Forward Nemanja Nikolic easily lofted the penalty kick into the back of the net.
In unfamiliar territory, the Red Bulls desperately looked for a goal at home. On an 80th minute corner, Bradley Wright-Phillips gave the home team a chance, but the opportunity came just a little too late.
- 30' – CHI – Aleksandar Katai | WATCH
- 69' – CHI – Nemanja Nikolic | WATCH
- 80' – RBNY – Bradley Wright-Phillips | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: A struggling Chicago Fire came into Red Bull Arena and did what no other MLS team has done this season -- won. The Red Bulls -- at full strength -- were unable to come back from the two goal deficit. This has potential to boost major momentum for Chicago.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: In the 30th minute Katai converted an attempted clearance by the Red Bulls into a one-time volley into the back of the net. The golazo speaks for itself.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Chicago goalkeeper Richard Sanchez was a huge reason New York only converted one of 22 shots. Sanchez made two huge acrobatic saves in the 26th and 35th minutes of the match. He was able to hold off the charging Red Bulls for almost 80 minutes, including 11 shots on target.