With NYCFC flashing their energetic pressing and fluid possession game, first-half goals from Anton Tinnerholm and David Villa banked all three points on offer in the 2018 curtain-raiser at Yankee Stadium. A response from Jonathan dos Santos after the break led to some late jitters for the hosts, but the Galaxy's comeback bid was disrupted by a second yellow card for Ashley Cole.
The pain of the loss was amplified for LA by injuries to starters Michael Ciani and Giovani dos Santos, the latter limping off with a hamstring issue one week before the Mexican national team gather for a key pre-World Cup camp.
- 22' – NYC – Anton Tinnerholm | Watch
- 33' – NYC – David Villa | Watch
- 60' – LA – Jonathan dos Santos | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: While some of the shine comes off the remodeled Galaxy in their first road test, a slick NYCFC squad again underlined their championship contender status despite their inability to match the scoreline to their superiority in the run of play.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After Ben Sweat failed to finish a pretty NYCFC passing move, the ageless Villa displayed his poaching instincts to tuck away his 64th goal in 96 MLS regular-season appearances for the win.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Offseason signing Jesus Medina impressed in his NYCFC home debut, creating danger in the Galaxy penalty box and showing signs of deadly chemistry with Villa and Maxi Moralez.
Another solid outing for Paraguayan newcomer Jesus Medina in his 2nd match with NYCFC; 3 key passes, 4 recoveries, 1/2 on tackles, 1/2 on dribbles, only 4 passes misplaced:#NYCvLA pic.twitter.com/Q5zc54uUAU— Charles Boehm (@cboehm) March 11, 2018
- NYC: Saturday, March 17 vs. Orlando City (3:30 pm ET | Univision, Twitter in US)
- LA: Saturday, March 24 at Vancouver Whitecaps (10 pm ET | TSN1 in Canada, MLS LIVE in US)