Real Salt Lake agree to deal for Argentine mid, press pause on Dueñas chase

TRANSFER TRACKER STATUS: Reports

Real Salt Lake are close to landing one central midfielder, but their pursuit of another has come to an end.

As reported by The Salt Lake Tribune’s Maddie Lee on Tuesday and a Chilean outlet over the weekend, sources have confirmed to MLSsoccer.com Wednesday that RSL have agreed to a deal to acquire 19-year-old Argentine midfielder Pablo Ruiz on a permanent transfer from Chilean club San Luis de Quillota.

Ruiz, who played in three matches for Argentina at the 2015 U-17 World Cup, joined the Chilean first-division club last summer from Argentine club San Lorenzo. He made 10 league appearances in Chile.

While RSL have agreed to a deal with Ruiz, they are no longer pursuing Tigres midfielder Jesus Dueñas. MLSsoccer.com reported last month that the club had talked about a transfer with the 28-year-old Mexican international, but sources said Wednesday that talks stalled and RSL have since backed off.

Dueñas in action at the 2017 Gold Cup | USA Today Images

Their Dueñas chase is over for now, but the sources said that RSL are still shopping for an impact box-to-box midfielder to push Ruiz, who is viewed as more of a long-term project, and incumbent starter Luke Mulholland. That signing may not happen until after the start of the MLS season, however, with the club still looking at several targets with just over four weeks left until opening day.  

Series: 
Transfer Tracker Status: