Two weeks after meeting in league play on June 1, the Portland Timbers and San Jose Earthquakes will be at Providence Park once again in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, US Soccer determined via draw on Thursday morning. Draw results were initially relayed via Twitter.
The 32-team Fourth Round includes all 17 US-based MLS clubs, which means two teams had to be drawn against each other. Portland also drew the all-MLS matchup last year, beating rivals Seattle Sounders 3-1 in extra time in the game perhaps better remembered for Clint Dempsey's histrionics.
The other 15 MLS clubs were each drawn against a Third Round pairing, with Fourth Round matches tentatively scheduled for June 15. Specific match dates and times will be announced by the clubs. Ten of those 15 MLS teams will definitely play home games, while two clubs could play either home or away, depending on the Third Round result, and three teams (defending champions Kansas City, New England, Orlando City) will play on the road.
Potential Fourth Round matchups include many regional pairings, including in-state matchups like Orlando City vs. Jacksonville Armada, Columbus Crew SC vs. FC Cincinnati, New York City FC vs. New York Cosmos, Houston Dynamo vs. San Antonio FC and Colorado Rapids vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks.
Last year, MLS clubs went 13-2 against non-MLS opposition in the Fourth Round and produced all eight quarterfinalists.
Fourth Round draw
- LA Galaxy vs. La Máquina/LA Wolves winner
- Philadelphia Union vs. Chattanooga FC/Harrisburgy City Islanders winner
- D.C. United vs. Fort Lauderdale Strikers/Richmond Kickers winner
- Columbus Crew SC vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies/FC Cincinnati winner
- Chicago Fire vs. Indy Eleven OR Louisville City vs. Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United/St. Louis FC winner vs. Sporting Kansas City
- Rayo OKC vs. FC Dallas OR FC Dallas vs. OKC Energy
- Houston Dynamo vs. Des Moines Menace/San Antonio FC winner
- Colorado Rapids vs. Arizona United/Colorado Springs Switchbacks winner
- Seattle Sounders vs. Sacramento Republic/Kitsap Pumas winner
- Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC vs. New York Cosmos/Jersey Express winner
- Rochester Rhinos vs. New York Red Bulls OR New York Red Bulls vs. Lansdowne Bhoys
- Jacksonville Armada/Charleston Battery winner vs. Orlando City
- Real Salt Lake vs. Miami FC/Wilmington Hammerheads winner
- Carolina RailHawks/Charlotte Independence vs. New England Revolution