Player registration opened on Sunday for the 10th edition of Sueño MLS – Presented by Allstate Insurance Company, the nationally-televised talent search which rewards the best field player and the best goalkeeper with a spot on an MLS academy team.
Prospective candidates can register online on a first-come, first-serve basis for up to 400 spots at each of three open tryouts that will be held in Los Angeles (April 9-10), New York (April 23-24) and for the first time in Portland (April 16-17).
Each event will be hosted by local MLS clubs -- LA Galaxy, New York Red Bulls and Timbers -- and waiting lists will be set up once the initial 400 spots are filled.
Five field players and one goalkeeper will emerge from each city to participate in the National Finals at StubHub Center in Carson, California (May 4-7), where they will be mentored by Sueño MLS ambassadors and former Mexican national team players Luis “El Matador” Hernández and ex-goalkeeper Adolfo Ríos.
The best goalkeeper during that weekend in Carson will win the El Portero Allstate award, while the best field player will be named live, in-studio on the May 22 edition of the popular Univision sports show República Deportiva, which will document all the tryouts with weekly segments on Sundays (3 pm ET and midnight ET).
Over 15,000 young players have participated in Sueño MLS since its inception in 2007 with the program discovering standouts like 2015 MLS Cup champion Jorge Villafaña, Monterrey forward Gabriel Funes Mori, and his brother, Everton FC defender Ramiro Funes Mori.
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
- Eligible players must be males between the ages of 13 and 16 years old (born between January 1, 2000 – April 1, 2003);
- Participation in the event is free;
- Players may not register for more than one city;
- Candidates must have appropriate identification and have retained their amateur status;
- Sueño MLS participants will be responsible for all personal expenses associated with the local market tryout, including travel to local tryouts, lodging, food, soccer equipment (shoes, training gear, etc.), etc.;
- Program sponsors will cover all expenses for eighteen (18) participants selected to attend the National Final in Carson, Calif.;
- Current collegiate student-athletes will not be permitted to attend the National Final in Carson, Calif.