The potential pairings for the fifth round of the 2014 US Open Cup were releaesd by US Soccer on Tuesday, and there are plenty more regional rivalries on tap.
Hoping for a New York Red Bulls-Philadelphia Union matchup? Or how about USL PRO’s Pittsburgh Riverhounds testing their mettle against the Columbus Crew? There could even be a SuperClasico USOC-style with the LA Galaxy matching up against Chivas USA.
All those matchups and more were among the potential fifth-round groupings determined at US Soccer House in Chicago. Games at this stage, held June 24-25, will feature the16 winners from the upcoming fourth round.
Fifth-round winners will advance to the tournament’s quarterfinals, set for July 8-9.
The 101st edition of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup returns to action with fourth-round play June 11-18. USsoccer.com is providing “Game of the Round” coverage of this year’s event, with information regarding the fourth-round live stream to be announced shortly.
Potential pairings for MLS teams in the US Open Cup fifth round:
- New York Red Bulls (MLS)/New York Cosmos (NASL) winner at Philadelphia Union OR vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO)
- New England Revolution (MLS)/Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) winner at D.C. United OR vs. Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO)
- Indy Eleven (NASL)/Columbus Crew winner at Chicago Fire (MLS) OR vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO)
- San Antonio Scorpions (NASL)/FC Dallas winner at Houston Dynamo (MLS) OR vs. Laredo Heat (PDL)
- LA Galaxy (MLS)/Arizona United SC (USL PRO) winner at Carolina Railhawks (NASL) OR vs. Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)/Sacramento Republic (USL PRO) winner vs. PSA Elite (USASA) OR at Seattle Sounders (MLS)
- Real Salt Lake (MLS)/Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) winner at Colorado Rapids (MLS) OR vs. Orlando City (USL PRO)
- Orlando City U23s (PDL)/Portland Timbers (MLS) winner vs. Sporting Kansas City (MLS) Minnesota United FC (NASL) winner