The dance between Toronto FC and Maximiliano Urruti is finally complete, as the Canadian club announced on Friday that it has acquired the 22-year-old Argentine forward.
TFC had been flirting with Urruti for months after scouting him in his homeland, and nearly signed him six months ago. The Rosario, Argentina, native recently left Argentine club Newell's Old Boys over non-payment of wages.
“We are thrilled to finally get this deal concluded for Maximiliano Urruti," TFC president and general manager Kevin Payne said in a statement. "He is a player that we have been aware of for nearly two years and we have scouted him extensively in person. We think he’s really going to help our team and he is going to be an exciting player for our league so we couldn’t be happier about this outcome.”
Urruti, spent the past three seasons at Newell’s, where he made 56 appearances and scored 14 goals combined in league and Copa Libertadores play for the club. This past season, he was part of the club's Torneo Final championship-winning side.
“Maximiliano is a promising young striker and he is a natural goalscorer,” TFC head coach Ryan Nelsen said in a statement. “He has great character and work ethic and we are really excited to have him join Toronto.”
As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Urruti will be added to the roster upon receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
Urruti becomes the second Argentine youngster to join Toronto FC during the 2013 season along with midfielder Matías Laba, who signed as a Designated Player in April.
Toronto FC return to action on Saturday in a Trilium Cup matchup at the Columbus Crew (7:30 pm ET; MLS Live).