FC Dallas defeats Southwest Missouri State

RICHARDSON, Texas - FC Dallas downed the University of Southwest Missouri State (SMS) by a 3-0 final at the University of Texas at Dallas on Saturday. The two teams played a full 90-minute match with the FC Dallas lineup listed below.

FC Dallas Lineup - Garlick (Cassar 45'), Wagenfuhr (Gbandi 45'), Goodson (Yi 45'), Moor (Cruz 63'), Salyer (Salinas 45'), Mulrooney (Torres 45'), Talley (Pitchkolan 45'), Valakari (Pareja 45'), Maurin, O'Brien (Nunez 45'), Rhine


Bobby Rhine played the first half up top at forward and the second half at right back...Trialist Sergio Salinas played up front for Rhine in the second half...Defender Greg Vanney was at the scrimmage today and shook hands with the FC Dallas players before the match...The team is still awaiting to make an official announcement of his signing...Arturo Alvarez (U-20) and Eddie Johnson both were not with the team due to their National Team commitments for the U.S.

Team                   1st    2nd    Total                
FC Dallas               2      1       3 
Southwest Missouri St.  0      0       0       

Scoring Summary: FCD - Rhine 4', Maurin (Rhine, Mulrooney) 45', Nunez (PK) 58'

Just four minutes into the exhibition, Bobby Rhine hit a 20-yard knuckle ball that found the back of the net after the ball took a few different turns in the wind. The SMS goalkeeper was fooled as his hands went one way and the ball took a different direction. That goal gave FC Dallas a 1-0 lead in a match they dominated from beginning to end.

In the first half, FC Dallas could have extended their lead with multiple great chances. Ronnie O'Brien and Carey Talley had a few of those chances, with Talley striking the ball just wide left of the post in the 21st minute on a nice feed from O'Brien and then tagging the crossbar in the 33rd minute.

Goalkeepers Scott Garlick and Jeff Cassar were solid again with Garlick making a tough save in the 24th minute along the right post and Cassar making a magnificent save in the 52nd minute as he dove, fully extended to his left to knock the ball over the crossbar.

FC Dallas got their second goal just before halftime when Richard Mulrooney made a nice cross to Bobby Rhine on the right side. Rhine then drilled a great through ball to Ty Maurin who tapped in the pass under the goalkeeper's arm, giving the team a 2-0 lead.

The final goal of the match came in the 58th minute when Drew Moor charged in for a header from a centering pass from Chris Gbandi. Moor was fouled hard on the play by the goalkeeper inside the box and the referee awarded a penalty kick. Ramon Nunez took the penalty kick and found the back of the left side of the net as the keeper went diving in the opposite direction.

Head Coach Colin Clarke on the scrimmage: "There were some positives we can take from this match and some other things we still need to work on. Overall, I liked the way we played and have played this entire preseason. On the other hand there were too many broken passes and we had trouble finishing. We had a tough week of training and I'm sure that played a role on our performance. With that being said, we'll get back to work next week and prepare ourselves for our match with Colorado in Austin next Saturday."

Stay connected: Get access to breaking news, videos, and analysis from North America's best soccer reporters via "This Week in MLS" newsletter or using our FREE mobile app.